news

Prince Harry claims his voicemail was illegally hacked by tabloids.

Prince Harry has begun legal action against the publishers of Rupert Murdoch’s Sun newspaper and the Daily Mirror due to allegations of phone hacking as he steps up their battle against British tabloid media.

“Claims have been filed on behalf of The Duke of Sussex at the High Court regarding the illegal interception of voicemail messages,” a spokeswoman for Prince Harry said, declining to give further details of the claim. A spokeswoman for News Group Newspapers, publisher of The Sun, also confirmed that a claim had been issued by the Royal.

The phone-hacking allegations date back many years ago.

In 2013 a London court heard that the phones of Prince Harry and Kate Middleton were hacked by staff working for Rupert Murdoch’s now-defunct News of the World tabloid. News of the World had also been part of News Group Newspapers (owner of The Sun).

The news follows Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, announcing on Tuesday that she will be taking legal action against the Mail on Sunday over the “unlawful” publication of a private letter.

prince harry statement
On Tuesday, Meghan Markle announced she will be taking legal action over the "unlawful" publication of a private letter. Image: Getty.
ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier this week the Duke of Sussex condemned the publication for their “relentless” campaign against his wife, stating they did not consider the consequences of their coverage.

"There is a human cost to this relentless propaganda, specifically when it is knowingly false and malicious, and though we have continued to put on a brave face – as so many of you can relate to – I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been," Prince Harry said in a statement.

"Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one. Because my deepest fear is history repeating itself. I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person.

"I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces."

The Duchess' proceedings are seperate to the new legal action levelled by Prince Harry, which was first reported by Byline Investigates.

- With AAP.


Sign up for the "Mamamia Daily" newsletter. Your morning hit of the top news stories, to be consumed with a coffee in hand.


00:00 / ???