People have a habit of underestimating the effort and creative genius involved in making a good salad, don’t they.
Just bring a salad, they say casually when you ask what to bring to the barbecue. A quick salad’ll do.
Aside from smothering an iceberg lettuce in ranch dressing, there’s nothing quick about coming up with a salad that’s a) not flat and b) doesn’t taste like air. Where does one start?
She gave us 24.
Yes, 24 banger salads to impress your friends, feed your family and make up a huge bowl of as your meal prep for the week.
So next time you’re asked to ‘just bring a salad’, you really ought to make it one of these.
1. Pumpkin, Goat’s Cheese and Roasted Hazelnut Salad
Find the full Pumpkin, Goat's Cheese and Roasted Hazelnut Salad recipe here.
2. Panzella Salad
Find the full Panzelle Salad recipe here.
3. Pea Tabbouleh Salad
Find the full Pea Tabbouleh Salad recipe here.
4. Chinese Chicken Salad
Find the full Chinese Chicken Salad recipe here.
5. Quinoa Salad with Roasted Almonds, Persian Fetta and a crunchy topping
Find the full Quinoa Salad recipe here.
6. Vietnamese Noodle Salad
Find the full Vietnamese Noodle Salad recipe here.
7. Haloumi, Quinoa and Sweet Roasted Almond Salad with Balsamic and Honey Dressing
Find the full Haloumi, Quinoa and Sweet Roasted Almond Salad recipe here.
8. Middle Eastern Summer Salad
Find the full Middle Eastern Summer Salad recipe here.
9. The 'Best Pumpkin Salad Ever'
Find the full Pumpkin Salad recipe here.
10. Quinoa and Beetroot Salad with Mint, Smoked Almonds, Currants and Roasted Garlic Dressing
11. Brown Rice, Kale, Roasted Capsicum and Goat's Cheese Salad with Tahini Dressing
Find the full Brown Rice, Kale, Roasted Capsicum and Goat's Cheese Salad recipe here.
12. Radicchio, Parmesan and Parsley Salad with Fried Shallots
Find the full Radicchio, Parmesan and Parsley Salad recipe here.
13. Grilled Peach, Fennel and Blue Cheese Salad
Find the full Grilled Peach, Fennel and Blue Cheese Salad recipe here.
14. 'Green" Potato Salad with Dijon Dressing
Find the full Green" Potato Salad recipe here.
15. Roasted Beetroot, Labneh and Walnut Salad with a Garlic, Lemon and Olive Oil Dressing
Find the full Roasted Beetroot, Labneh and Walnut Salad recipe here.
16. Cauliflower Salad with Pine Nuts, Green Beans and Tahini Yoghurt Dressing
Find the full Cauliflower Salad recipe here.
17. Crunchy Brown Rice Salad with Roasted Almonds and Seeds
Find the full Crunchy Brown Rice Salad recipe here.
18. Broccoli and Pancetta Salad
19. Caramelised Fennel and Cabbage Salad
Find the full Caramelised Fennel and Cabbage Salad recipe here.
Find the full Broccoli and Pancetta Salad recipe here.
20. Bacon, Corn and Avocado Salad with a Sour Cream Dressing
Find the full Bacon, Corn and Avocado Salad recipe here.
21. Traditional Tabbouleh Salad
Find the full Traditional Tabbouleh Salad recipe here.
22. Greek Salad... with a twist
Find the full Greek Salad recipe here.
23. Honey Glazed Carrot and Radish Salad with Fetta and Walnuts
Find the full Honey Glazed Carrot and Radish Salad recipe here.
24. Chickpea Salad with Quinoa, Almonds and Goat's Cheese
Find the full Chickpea Salad recipe here.
P.S. Mia Freedman has a tuna theory. Yes, a tuna theory. If you regularly have tuna in your salad for lunch, listen up.