celebrity

Inside the theory the Royal Family didn't know about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's decision to step down.

On Wednesday evening, London time, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced their decision to “step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family”. But as the news spread, theories have emerged that the rest of the Royal Family were left completely blindsided by the announcement.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s statement says they’ve decided to become financially independent and split their time between the UK and North America.

“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution,” the statement read.

“We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.

“We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.

“This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity.”

But despite the lengthy and formal statement, the BBC is reporting that no other member of the Royal Family knew about Meghan and Harry’s decision to step down before the public knew.

The Palace is reported to be hurt and disappointed.

The BBC has published a statement from the family that reads: “Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Dymond, a royal correspondent, added while talking to the BBC, “I think it indicates a real strength of feeling in the Palace tonight – maybe not so much about what has been done but about how it has been done – and the lack of consultation I think will sting.

“This is clearly a major rift between Harry and Meghan on one part, and the rest of the Royal Family on the other.”

The news comes as the couple have returned from a six week holiday in Canada with Meghan Markle’s mother, Doria Ragland.

It’s no secret that they’ve been dragged through the British tabloids since their wedding in May 2018, with everything from Meghan’s family, her demeanour, her parenting, and her relationship with the other royals splashed across headlines.

Here’s Meghan telling the media she is not okay. Post continues after video.

Video by ITV
ADVERTISEMENT

Prince Harry sued the publisher of the Mail on Sunday after the newspaper published a handwritten letter she had sent to her estranged father, saying he could no longer be a “silent witness to her [Meghan’s] private suffering.

In an interview with ITV late last year, Meghan said she’d been warned about the British press, but hadn’t truly realised what she was in for.

“The biggest thing that I know, I never thought this would be easy, but I thought it would be fair. And that’s the part that’s really hard to reconcile,” she told the journalist, nearly in tears.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.” – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex For more information, please visit sussexroyal.com (link in bio) Image © PA

A post shared by The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (@sussexroyal) on

Here is how the world is reacting to the the news, with Twitter alight with commentators.

Here in Australia “Megan,” “Diana” and “Royal Family” are all trending.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT


Feature image: AAP.

00:00 / ???