The youngest daughter of the Biloela family has been medically evacuated to Perth.

- With AAP.

The youngest daughter of the Biloela family is being medically evacuated to Perth with a suspected blood infection. The family have been held in detention on Christmas Island since 2019.

Tharnicaa Murugappan (who is three years old) is flying with her mother Priya, the family and refugee advocates said in a statement on Monday afternoon. 

They say Tharnicaa has been unwell since May 25 and might have septicaemia - a serious blood infection.

"I am feeling very scared and worried for my little girl," Priya said in a media statement. 

"She has been sick for many days, it took a long time for her to get to the hospital. 

"She is already asking for her papa, it is going to be very hard being away from her Dad and sister. It is very hard for our family to be separated when our daughter is sick." 

Tharnicaa Murugappan, who is aged three, has a suspected blood infection. Image: AAP.

Tharnicaa had been feeling unwell for 10 days with vomiting, diarrhoea, dizziness, and a temperature of more than 40 degrees.

Priya says International Health and Medical Services (IHMS), who administer health services in detention centres, distributed Panadol and Nurofen to Tharnicaa and handed Priya a piece of paper that explained common flu symptoms. 


It wasn't until Sunday that Tharnicaa was taken to hospital, despite ongoing requests from her mother, advocates say. 

Priya, Nades and their two young daughters have been held on Christmas Island since August 2019 as the government tries to deport them to Sri Lanka, despite a community campaign to let them stay in Australia.

Angela Fredericks, family friend and spokesperson for the Home to Biloela group, said: "This is another instance of lack of proper medical care for these little Biloela girls. Tharnicaa has been in detention for almost all of her young life. During that time she has suffered vitamin deficiencies due to lack of sunlight and fresh fruit and vegetables. She later suffered a concussion after an improperly secured whiteboard fell on her head, and was not taken to hospital until hours later when she started vomiting."

"Now, her needs have been dismissed until she was vomiting and falling over. This is just not good enough."

Feature image: AAP/Facebook.

Like a $50 gift voucher for your thoughts? For your chance, take our quick survey .