news

"It's unreal." Tennis stars lose their minds as Novak Djokovic wins history-making Wimbledon final, & more in News in 5.

-With AAP.

1. “It’s unreal.” Tennis stars lose their minds as Novak Djokovic wins history-making Wimbledon final.

The Wimbledon finals match between Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer sent the tennis world into meltdown, cementing itself in history as the longest Wimbledon decider ever.

Djokovic saved two match points to claim a fifth Wimbledon singles crown with a titanic, nerve-shredding five-set triumph over eight-times champion Federer.

In a captivating, history-making four-hour, 57-minute final of wildly fluctuating fortunes, Djokovic denied Federer 7-6 (7-5) 1-6 7-6 (7-4) 4-6 12-10 (7-3) to retain the title he won last year and add to the trophies he also landed at the All England Club in 2011, 2014 and 2015.

The epic encounter was the longest title decider in the championships’ 152-year history, surpassing Rafael Nadal’s similarly dramatic four-hour, 46-minute win over Federer in 2008.

Following a rule change introduced only this year, Sunday’s tension-filled final set – which stretched more than two hours alone – was the first ever decided in a tiebreaker after games were locked at 12-all.

“Congratulations, man, that was crazy,” Federer said after Djokovic became the first player to win a Wimbledon men’s singles final after saving championship points since Bob Falkenburg in 1948.

“I’ll try to forget,” Federer said after blowing his serve from 40-15 up at 8-7 in the tension-filled final set.

Former British star Tim Henman said on the BBC broadcast, it’s a match “the tennis world will reflect on for a long time to come”.

Tennis stars took to Twitter to share their awe while watching the match.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Djokovic’s 16th grand slam title vaulted the Serbian superstar to within four of Federer’s record 20 and two behind Rafael Nadal’s 18.

After winning four of the past five slams, few would back against the 32-year-old from reeling in Federer’s benchmark haul as the battle for greatest of all time (GOAT) status intensifies.

ADVERTISEMENT

For now, Djokovic can savour emulating the five-time Wimbledon feats of legendary Swede Bjorn Borg (1976-80) and Englishman Laurie Doherty (1902-1906) in the most extraordinary fashion.

“This was if not the most exciting and most thrilling final I was ever part of, then definitely top two or three against one of the greatest of all time,” said the jubilant world No.1.

“He inspires me for sure. Unfortunately in these kind of matches one of the players have to lose.

“It’s quite unreal to be down two match points and come back and win.”

Three weeks shy of his 38th birthday, Federer had been bidding to become the oldest grand slam singles champion in 51 years of professional tennis.

Alas, it all ended in heartbreak for the veteran Swiss, who lost to Djokovic for the third time at grand slam level after holding match points.

He endured the same devastating fate in the 2010 and 2011 US Open semi-finals.

Federer also won more points and more games, conjured more break points and delivered almost three times as many aces as the Serb.

But it was Djokovic who celebrated by eating the famous centre-court grass following a relentless counter-punching performance.

“Oh well, I hope I give some other people a chance to believe at 37 it’s not over yet,” Federer said.

“No, it’s all good. I couldn’t give any more. I gave it my all and I still feel alright. I still stand and so it’s good and I wish the same for all the other 37-year-olds.”

Federer’s four children were in his courtside box for the presentation as the Swiss collected a fourth runners-up trophy.

“They won’t be excited with a plate,” he said. “They’d rather take that golden thing.

“But it’s nice to see them. We had a great week here and I love them and it’s back to (being) dad and husband. It’s all good.”

2. Search continues for 21-year-old student who disappeared in a small Victorian town four days ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

The search continues for a student who went off the grid in a small Victorian town four days ago, with police holding grave concerns for his welfare.

In a space of roughly 50 metres, Poshik Sharma went missing in Marysville.

Police and volunteers are to return to the area on Monday in the hope of finding Mr Sharma after he was last seen at the Duck Inn pub with friends on Thursday.

The 21-year-old man left the group after a disagreement before 4pm.

“He has completely gone off the grid which is completely unusual for a young man,” Inspector David Ryan told reporters on Sunday.

Mr Sharma has not spoken to friends or family, used his phone or social media since.

A dam has been drained and a walking track and bushland searched to try to find him.

“If he is out and exposed to the elements, he would be a very sick man at this stage,” Insp Ryan said.

“We will go door-to-door and check every hidey-hole we can find, for whatever reason he’s got shelter in the township.”

Mr Sharma had been wearing bright red shoes and scarf, with a black jacket and beanie.

“He’s fit, he’s strong, with the way he’s dressed he should stand out to people,” Insp Ryan said.

Friend Prince Teona said they had not told Mr Sharma’s parents in India their son was missing, preferring to hang on to hope they will find him first.

“We are trying our best so that we find him before they get to know about that one because he is the only son,” he told Nine News.

The temperature is expected to dip to 9 degrees Celsius, with persistent rain and strong winds in Marysville overnight.

3. Four Queensland children who took a 4WD on a joy ride have been found in NSW.

Four children, including a 10-year-old, who are believed to have stolen a four-wheel drive in central Queensland before driving hundreds of kilometres over the border into NSW, have been found safe in Grafton.

The alarm was raised after three boys, one aged 14 and two 13, along with a 10-year-old girl took the silver Nissan Patrol from Gracemere, in the Rockhampton region, on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 4WD belongs to the father of one of the children.

The group took fishing rods and cash, and one of the children left a note for his family indicating he was leaving.

The 4WD was seen at a service station in Banana at 4.45am on Sunday where it filled up with petrol before driving off without paying. It was then spotted across the NSW border near Glen Innes in the afternoon.

Police, who appealed for public assistance to find the children, later located them in Grafton.

4. Western Australia moves on after 6.6 magnitude quake.

West Australians have shaken off the title of having the nation’s equal-largest earthquake as they restock shelves and get back to business.

The 6.6 magnitude undersea quake struck on Sunday afternoon, between Port Hedland and Broome in the Indian Ocean, GeoScience Australia reported.

“It is the biggest-equal earthquake in Australia ever recorded,” GeoScience Australia duty seismologist Dan Connolly told AAP on Sunday.

“An earthquake of this size… the enormous size, it was felt up to Darwin and down to Perth. It is a rare occurrence.”

It equalled the magnitude of an earthquake in Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory in 1988.

The United States Geological Survey reported the quake hit at a depth of 33km, about 203km offshore, and of a 6.9 magnitude.

While there is no threat of a tsunami to the Australian mainland, islands or territories, aftershocks were expected to continue following the earthquake.

The quake jolted items off shelves in the region’s shops.

ADVERTISEMENT

Derby resident Jody Gaunt was having a beer with friends when they felt the quake.

“We were sitting outside and our chairs were rocking,” she told AAP.

“The trees stopped moving and the breeze stopped blowing.

“We were thinking, ‘Is this real or not real?’ We’ve never had an earthquake up here, or a tremor.”

In Port Hedland, The Walkabout Hotel employee Shelley, who did not wish to use her surname, told AAP it felt like being on a vibrating machine.

“It felt like being on one of those vibrating machines. It just sort of shook the building,” she said, adding a colleague thought it was a plane at a nearby airport taking off.

There had been no building damage, a police spokesman said.

5. Teen struck by bus on Parramatta footpath.

A 16-year-old girl is fighting for life after she was trapped under a bus that mounted the footpath on a Sydney street and struck her.

The bus was travelling on Argyle Street in Parramatta about 9.45pm on Sunday when it mounted the footpath at the intersection of Church Street and struck the teen and two other girls, also aged 16, and a bus shelter.

The girl was trapped under the bus for more than an hour until she was freed about 11.15pm and is in a critical condition.

The other two teenagers had minor injuries and were taken to hospital.

The male bus driver was taken to hospital for treatment for shock. He will undergo tests. The few passengers on the bus at the time of the crash were uninjured.

00:00 / ???