By: Dijana Damjanovic
A criminal profiler has revealed details about the person police suspect may have abducted toddler William Tyrrell from his grandmother’s home in Kendall 12 months ago.
Dr Sarah Yule is a member of the police taskforce that is working with detectives to find the three-year-old who went missing during a family visit to the New South Wales home in September last year.
She said that if no-one but the child’s parents and grandmother knew about the visit, then the kidnapper would have had to have another reason to be there — either visiting, living or working in the area.
She added there was also only a narrow window of opportunity to take the child from outside the property, which is in a dead-end street.
“It does seem that this was an opportunistic crime and when somebody makes that kind of impulsive decision, mistakes are made and it’s those kind of mistakes that the investigation is focusing on,” she said.
The head of the investigation, Detective Inspector Gary Jubelin, said the kidnapper would have taken some tremendous risks.
“The kidnapping occurred on a Friday around 10:30am,” he said.
“It was broad daylight and whoever abducted him risked being seen from the balcony of William’s grandmother’s home as well as neighbouring properties.”
Yesterday, thousands of people took part in community walks around the country to support the search for William on the first anniversary of his disappearance.
Nearly 80 Walk for William events were registered nationwide, including in Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Mackay, and at least one was held overseas in Canada.
Bravehearts organiser Dale Symonds said she hoped the show of support would prompt somebody to come forward and provide information on William’s whereabouts.
“Somebody out there knows something and we hope that somebody is brave enough to come forward and let the police know,” she said.
NSW police said while the investigation had been ongoing for a year, the public should not lose faith in the investigation into William’s disappearance.
Listen to The Quicky debrief on the truth about William Tyrrell’s parents, and what happened after the three-year-old’s disappearance.
2015 Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. Read the ABC Disclaimer here.
This post originally appeared on ABC News.