Donald Trump: White House backtracks on refugee deal struck with Australia, says it is still under consideration.

refugee deal

By Washington bureau chief Zoe Daniel

The White House has backtracked on a promise to honour a refugee deal with Australia, saying President Donald Trump is still considering whether it will go ahead.

The clarification came soon after White House press secretary Sean Spicer said the deal was going ahead provided the refugees were subjected to “extreme vetting” procedures.

In a follow-up phone call to the ABC, a White House source said if the President does decide to honour the deal, it will only be because of America’s “longstanding relationship with Australia”.

Earlier Mr Spicer said the deal, struck between the Obama administration and Turnbull Government, would include approximately 1,250 refugees, many from countries covered by the new administration’s bans on entry to residents from seven majority Muslim nations.

 “There will be extreme vetting applied to all of them,” he said.

“That is part and parcel of the deal that was made, and it was made by the Obama administration with the full backing of the United States Government.”

According to the latest statistics from the Immigration Department, there are 871 people on Manus Island and 383 people on Nauru.

Advertisement

The ABC understands most of the refugees are from Iran, with some also from Iraq and Somalia, three of the countries on the Trump administration’s travel ban list.

At a briefing earlier, US Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said “we are looking at various options right now” with regard to “extreme vetting”.

“There are many countries — seven that we are dealing with right now — that in our view don’t have the kind of law enforcement, records keeping that can convince us that one of their citizens is indeed who that citizen says they are and what their background might be,” he said.

“So we are developing what additional vetting, extreme vetting might look like, and we will certainly work with countries on this.”

Deal had been called into question by executive order

The deal had come into question after Mr Trump signed an executive order suspending his country’s refugee program.

On Saturday the President put a four-month hold on allowing refugees into the US and temporarily barred travellers with passports from seven Muslim-dominated countries.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull spoke with Mr Trump by phone on Sunday, during which time it is understood the President agreed to honour the deal.

Before the call, Mr Turnbull said there was a section in Mr Trump’s executive order which stated officials could still admit refugees under pre-existing international agreements.

The ABC understands that section was included in the final version of the executive order after the Prime Minister’s office intervened.

“We are very confident and satisfied that existing arrangements will continue,” Mr Turnbull said before the call.

“It’s quite clear that the administration has set out in the order the ability to deal with existing arrangements.”

Last week senior Australian Government sources said they were confident the orders would not impact the deal to resettle refugees currently on Manus Island and Nauru, entered into late last year with former president Barack Obama.

Authorities had hoped to begin moving people to the US at the start of this year.

This post originally appeared on ABC News.


© 2017 Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. Read the ABC Disclaimer here

JOIN THE CONVERSATION
FROM OUR NETWORK