I recently came across an article about the best gifts for the ‘Crunchy Mum’ and excuse me, WTF?!
Well according to some, we are not. We are one of a huge assortment of mum categories that have been invented by someone, to achieve, well I don’t actually know but most likely the cause of unnecessary angst and annoyance by many women who just want to be mums with no other descriptors before or after the title.
But to answer the originally question, a Crunchy Mum is, according to the very reliable Urban Dictionary:
“A member of an increasingly growing group of mums who are neo-hippies,” they write.
“They generally believe (for varying reasons) that there is something bad or less beneficial about buying mainstream products or doing other common activities in the mainstream way.”
We ask some mums and non-mums questions about childbirth. Their answers are very revealing.
And again, thanks to Urban Dictionary here is a checklist, if you require further clarification as to whether you fall into this category:
- You bake all your own bread.
- You make your own jam, jelly, pickles, applesauce, etc.
- You gave birth at home – by CHOICE! (With a midwife, doula, or unassisted!)
- You prefer to teach your children yourself at home instead of letting the public or private schools do it for you.
- You grow your own food as much as possible, and buy the rest at farmer’s markets or health food stores.
- You are vegan or vegetarian.
- You choose not to use birth control.
- You don’t wear a bra or shoes.
Upon further investigation there are plentiful blogs and websites devoted to being a Crunchy Mum, as well as a specific subsection on Esty to source your Crunchy Mum gift.
Now for those of you who don’t happen to fall into this category of motherhood, there are plenty of others out there. Not limited to, but including:
- The PTA (Parent Teacher Association) Mum – also known as the ‘Clipboard Mum’. Active in the Parent Teacher Association, coordinating volunteers and always with a strong ‘voice’.
- The Activewear Mum – wears active wear regardless of whether she has ever actually exercised (usually she hasn’t).
- The Have a Chat Mum or Social Mum – Always ready to have a chat with anyone or everyone. She is at school drop off first and leaves school at pick up last. This is her prime source of social interaction.
- The Hot Mess Mum or Slummy Mummy – This mum will often have today’s breakfast strewn down her shirt, yesterday’s makeup still visible on her face and she is never quite sure what day of the week it is, her life is general chaos.
- The Late Mum – This mum has some things in common with the Hot Mess Mum, mostly the disorganisation. This mum is always dropping her kids off late to school, usually straight from the No Standing Zone out the front of the school while speeding off to something else she is late for.