It’s the argument to beat all arguments.
When it comes to food, what belongs in the fridge, and what belongs in the pantry?
You can rile anyone up by talking about this, seriously.
I can’t tell you how many heated discussions have come out of me telling people that I keep my tomato sauce and peanut butter in the fridge.
Buzzfeed has now put together a definitive list of 11 foods that should definitely not be kept in the fridge.
Their reasons vary, but they’re all very good reasons, based on more than just personal preference.
Watch the video and then tell me how many you’re screwing up. Personally I got 4/11 and just had to go downstairs and remove them from the fridge, head hung in shame.
As for the below food items? Well, the jury’s still out on where exactly they belong.
– Butter. Out of the fridge for easy spreading? Or in the special butter section that’s usually on the fridge door?
– Bananas. There are ripening issues here – kitchen counter, or fridge?
– Dried fruit. Apparently it needs to be stored in the fridge for freshness purposes?
– Ice-cream syrup. Is the pantry okay, or will it develop weird flavours if not kept in the cold?
– Nuts. Do they really need to be in the fridge?
– Eggs. There’s so much conflicting evidence on whether refrigerated or room temperature eggs are better – so where is it?
– Hard cheeses. Apparently they can stay fresh for up to 3months out of the fridge?
– Sauces. We already know I’m a fridge person for this, but how about you?
– Cakes, biscuits and slices. I keep them in an airtight container that’s not in the fridge. Am I going to poison myself?
– Spreads. Mayonnaise? Nutella? Where do you put it?
Where do you stand on the fridge vs pantry debate?