I have been that single girl on Valentine’s Day, when around 11am the office starts to look like a florist shop and all of a sudden you look around and realise your desk looks so dull just sitting there all alone as everyone else’s blooms away.
I have also been the girl with the embarrassingly big bloom display and as much as I am thankful that I have someone now to send me flowers and I don’t have to contemplate making up a secret admirer (hey desperate times) I still will always know what it’s like to be the flowerless and dateless girl on Valentine’s.
So please, here are my tips for not inducing eye rolls on singles awareness day:
1. Keep it off social media – posting a long winded ‘I love you’ post on Facebook to your partner who is probably sitting right next to you is just obnoxious and unoriginal. If you really mean it, you will text it. And while we are at it, social media doesn’t need to see the stuffed teddy bear and roses he got you, and hash tagging it with #truelove is grounds for an unfollowing.
2. Do not act condescendingly to your single friends as you hold a big bunch of flowers and say “maybe next year this could be you.” Sarah, just because you are holding a bouquet of flowers on the day of love does not mean you have something they want so don’t act like you do. It’s smug and nobody likes a smart ass.
Listen to Osher Gunsberg’s new love advice podcast Love Life. Post continues after audio.
3. Do not offer to fix your single friend up with your boyfriend’s mate on Valentine’s Day. A blind first date does not need that added pressure of being surrounded by loved up couples whilst paying four times the amount for dinner.
4. Do not all of a sudden start cracking jokes about your friend being single to try to make light of the situation. They are aware and you are not a comedian so that crack about having a hot date night with a pizza box is only funny when they tell it.
5. Don’t bring up exes – I can’t stress this one enough. Just because everyone is paired up and they didn’t get a $9 box of chocolates from Coles, doesn’t mean it’s last drinks at the bar and they need to grab a partner, any partner.