1. A 13-year-old boy has miraculously ‘come back to life’ after his parents agreed to donate his organs.
Child who was written off by doctors as brain dead, regains consciousness after parents sign him over for organ donation. Trenton McKinley is now speaking in full sentences and on the road to recovery. #Fox35 https://t.co/6hd4SoPxWN
— Amy Kaufeldt (@Fox35Amy) May 6, 2018
A 13-year-old boy who was declared brain dead after a dune buggy accident two months ago has reportedly come back to life after his parents had agreed to donate his organs.
The day before doctors were set to pull the plug US teenager Trenton McKinley’s life support in March, he began to show signs mental cognition, reports US news channel FOX10.
Two months ago, Trenton told FOX10, he was riding a small trailer that was being pulled by a dune buggy when the trailer flipped, with the teenager hitting his head on the concrete.
His mother, Jennifer, told the news outlet doctors told her that even if her son did survive the accident “he would never be normal again”. And so, she agreed to sign papers donating his organs.
“Five kids needed organs that matched him,” she said. “It was unfair to keep bringing him back, because it was just damaging his organs even more.”
While Trenton still has a long way to go in his recovery, suffering nerve pain and daily seizures, his mother told USA Today “it’s a miracle” he came back to life.
2. Former treasurer Peter Costello savages the government’s budget strategy.
— abc730 (@abc730) May 7, 2018
Former treasurer Peter Costello thinks he’ll be dead and buried by the time the federal government has paid off the nation’s debt.
Mr Costello warned until spending was under control Australia wouldn’t be in a position to pay back money owed.
“It took us 10 surplus budgets to pay off last time. You would be doing well to pay of it off in 10 surplus budgets this time,” Mr Costello told ABC TV’s 7.30.
“I think the probabilities are we will never get back to where we were, you and I will die before that happens.”
Spending needed to be cut by at least $18 billion a year, Australia’s longest-serving treasurer warned, adding it needed to be capped at 24 per cent of gross domestic product.
Right now it’s at about 25 per cent.
He pointed out there had been 10 years of deficits which translated to borrowing about $370 billion.
“That money doesn’t go away. It’s going to be there, we’re going to be paying interest on it, until somebody pays it back,” Mr Costello said.
He warned Australia was more vulnerable to a global economic downturn, compared to 2008 when it was in the best position of all western countries with no debt and triple-A credit rating.
“We are more fragile, more exposed. We don’t have the same strength,” he said.
3. Former prime minister Bob Hawke admitted to Sydney hospital.
— Latika M Bourke (@latikambourke) May 7, 2018
Former prime minister Bob Hawke remains in Sydney’s Royal North Shore Hospital where he is undergoing “minor” tests.
“I can confirm on background that Bob is fine,” a Labor spokesman said on Tuesday.
“(He’s) Just in hospital for some minor tests, nothing serious.”
The 88-year-old was admitted on Monday evening, but the hospital would not make any comment.
The former ALP leader served as Australia’s 23rd prime minister from 1983-1991 and led Labor to four consecutive election victories.
Mr Hawke’s place in the Labor pantheon was formally acknowledged in 2009 when he became only the third person to be awarded national life membership of the party.
4. Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s unconventional first wedding dance song.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will share their first dance to Whitney Houston's ’80s hit I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me), The Sun reports.
The couple, who are set to tie the knot in just over a week, have also invited music legend Elton John to the wedding.
It is reported there will be a grand piano "on standby" for John - who was a longtime friend of Princess Diana - to play some of his oldest and most well known songs. He has cancelled two gigs in Las Vegas to attend.
The report of the couple's first dance song comes after Kensington Palace confirmed at the weekend Ms Markle would not have a Maid of Honour, nor would her friends play any formal role in the wedding proceedings.
5. 'Body modification' crackdown after a woman was left with mutilated genitals.
The controversial art of body modification could face a crackdown in NSW after a woman was left with mutilated genitals.
NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard is considering tighter licensing requirements and age limits, and requiring stringent record keeping for the artists who implant, slice and scar their willing subjects in the name of art.
But the minister also wants psychological examinations for the people willing to go under the knife, adding some must have "major issues going on in their head".
The changes are being proposed as a 37-year-old man prepares to face court on May 15 for allegedly mutilating the genitals of a 33-year-old woman who underwent a procedure at a Newcastle business in 2016.
The man's Instagram profile, which was deleted on Monday, included images of split tongues, implants under the skin and "scarification" - etching or burning permanent designs into the skin.