sports

"He crossed the line." Tomic's father says Hewitt left his son traumatised as teenager.

Following Bernard Tomic’s claim that “no one likes [Hewitt]” during a post match press conference earlier this week, Bernard Tomic’s father John Tomic has said Hewitt traumatised his son in 2010.

Tomic’s father says he will begin legal action on the back of allegations that Hewitt tried to pressure Tomic to reveal who at Tennis Australia was “against” him when Tomic was 17-years-old.

He further alleged that Hewitt threatened the now 26-year-old, telling Tomic he would never play in the Davis Cup again if he didn’t comply.

“Bernard said something on the television before that Lleyton didn’t like,” Tomic’s father told the Sydney Morning Herald on Friday, referring to an incident in 2010.

“[Hewitt] came into Bernard’s room, closed the door and pushed [Davis Cup captain] John Fitzgerald out and he said, ‘You have to tell me who from TA is against me’… Bernard was shocked, he couldn’t sleep all night,” he added, alleging that Hewitt suspected someone from Tennis Australia was telling the young tennis player to slam him in press interviews.

Speaking after his Australian Open doubles exit earlier this week, Hewitt says he’s cut all contact with Tomic following alleged abuse over the past 18 months.

The 37-year-old says he tried to help Tomic, but believes the former Australian No.1 is now a lost cause. He has alleged that he has received multiple threats from Tomic.

“Both (physical and verbal) – blackmail and physical,” Hewitt said on Thursday night.

“The threats that I’ve received for me and my family that I’ve had for a year and a half now, I don’t think anyone would reach out to a person who speaks like that.

“For me, it was the abuse I copped from him at the end. I drew a line in the sand and I haven’t spoken to him since.

“He won’t play Davis Cup while I have anything to do with it.”

Hewitt said he didn’t feel threatened by Tomic’s abuse but was frustrated after trying to help the world No.88 and one-time No.17.

Yesterday Tomic responded to the allegations that he threatened Hewitt’s family.

“I have never threatened his family,” Tomic told News Corp Australia.

“Nice, Lleyton. To think how low of a person you actually (are) and (it’s) why the Australian public never liked you… I got nothing to do with your family and I don’t care what’s wrong with you, you liar,” he added.

But not all is lost for Australian tennis.

22-year-old Ash Barty is currently ranked 15 in the world. In the Australian Open, she has won all three of her matches in straight sets and will now enter the fourth round.

Her achievements in the tennis world have been sensational, on and off the court.

FROM OUR NETWORK
00:00 / ???