There are no two ways around it: tipping in Australia is bloody confusing.
In fact, new research from Open Table finds 80 per cent of us are feeling pretty clueless about what exactly we should be doing.
Your thought process at the end of a typical evening at a restaurant might go a little like this:
1. But but but it’s not an innate part of our culture.
2. And the food is expensive.
3. Heck, most people don’t like to tip.
4. I don’t like to tip.
5. … But, I feel rude not tipping.
6. I’m not an asshole.
7. OK, fine, I’ll cough up some dough.
8. Wait, how much? 5%? 10%? 20%?
9. Ah crap, I have no cash. OH WELL.