When it comes to your beauty routine, sometimes you just want someone to sit you down and take you through a list of definitive do’s and don’ts.
Which is why we’ve put together this list of the 20 best beauty tips you’ll ever hear.
1. Apply a layer of sunscreen to your face each and every day.
Yes, even if it’s cloudy or rainy or it’s the middle of winter. Protect your skin from the sun’s harsh rays, and you’ll also be saving it from premature ageing. Hoorah.
2. To find the perfect shade of foundation, match it to your jawline instead of the back of your hand or your wrist.
It’s the area that most closely matches that of your skin and is a better reflection of how your skin will look all year round (that is, once your summer glow inevitably wears off).
3. Heat your eyelash curler with a hairdryer for five to eight seconds before using.
It'll give you better, longer-lasting eyelash curls. Just be careful not to make it too hot.
4. Pay attention to the expiry dates on the bottles of your beauty products.
For example, mascara usually has a shelf life of just three months, and foundation and some serums will last you six months. Replace them as needed.
5. Speaking of mascara, don't 'pump' the brush in the bottle before using.
This will cause air bubbles to form in the tube, drying out your beloved product quicker than you can say 'smokey eye'.
6. Avoid using hot water to wash your face.
It can cause your skin to dry out and soak up all your delicious serums, moisturisers and even makeup. Instead, use lukewarm or cool water when cleansing.
7. Always, always remove your makeup before heading to bed.
No matter the time or sobriety level. Giving your skin time to breathe and repair itself overnight without makeup residue to hinder the process will give you instantly better skin.
8. To further up your beauty sleep game, invest in a silk pillowcase.
You'll wake up 'sleep-wrinkle'-free and with baby-smooth skin. Trust us.
9. Keep blotting papers on hand.
They'll allow you to quickly and easily remove excess oil from your face throughout the day.
10. Clean your makeup brushes on a regular basis.
Ideally, once a week. You can buy speciality cleansers from most makeup stores, or you can use the same shampoo and conditioner you keep in your shower. Not only will you keep your tools bacteria-free, but makeup will go on smoother and more even, saving your products and saving you money!
11. Repeat after me: foundation, then concealer.
You'll find you use less product because you're only covering the areas that your foundation doesn't make disappear.
12. Try moisturising with a face oil.
It sounds counterintuitive to apply more oil to your skin, but the more oil you remove from your skin, the more it produces. You might find your shiny forehead drastically improves after a few days.
13. Keep your salon blow-dry in tact longer by applying dry shampoo to your roots a day earlier than you normally would.
Get to the source of the oil before it even begins.
14. Avoid using mascara on your lower lashes.
It makes your eyes look smaller and darker than they really are. Plus, it's a guaranteed one-way ticket to Smudge City.
15. Clean nails with nail polish remover before your at-home manicure.
It will remove any excess residue, dirt and oil from your nail to make your polish go the extra mile.
The beauty products that are guaranteed to get you compliments. Post continues after gallery...
16. Resist the temptation to pop your pimples.
Yes, we know you want to re-create those Dr. Pimple Popper videos in the safety of your own home, but popping zits increases your chance of infection and scarring.
17. Exfoliate your lips once a week.
Apply lip balm, then using a toothbrush and warm water lightly brush your lips, being careful not to apply too much pressure. Alternatively, mixing some lip balm with raw sugar works equally as well.
18. Invest in a primer to keep your skin hydrated so it doesn't 'soak up' your foundation.
It will keep your makeup looking flawless for longer, and save you money on products.
Listen: Zoe Foster Blake shares her unbeatable beauty advice for busy women. (Post continues.)
19. Feeling tired? Apply white eyeliner to the inner water line of your eye.
It'll instantly make your eyes appear whiter and brighter. Just be mindful to avoid the tear ducts so you don't promote infection.
20. Apply your facial moisturiser, serum or oil all the way down your neck, stopping at your breasts.
The skin here is just as sensitive as your face, so remember: your face stops at your boobs. The same rules apply when using sunscreen, too.