Friday's news in 5 minutes.

1. Teen couple murdered grandparents, then invited friends over for a house party.

Police say a teenage couple accused of murdering the girl’s grandparents invited friends over and threw a house party in the days after their deaths, WSB-TV reports.

Cassandra ‘Cassie’ Bjorge, 16, and her 19-year-old boyfriend Johnny Rider are accused of beating Cassie’s 63-year-old grandparents with a hammer and baseball bats before slitting their throats in their Lawrenceville, Georgia home.

Detectives testified in court this week that Cassie had confessed to killing her grandparents, and also said the couple planned to murder several other family members.

Gwinnett County Homicide Detective Dave Brucz told the court Cassie said she had “basically had enough of her grandparents”.

The court heard how the couple caulked doors inside the home and the front door to “seal the smell of death inside” as they lived with the bodies for days.

Police say Cassie admitted she and Johnny had stayed in the home “smoking pot” for days after the murder, even inviting friends over to party during the week. Their friends had no idea that two bodies lay decomposing upstairs.

After the couple tried to murder Cassie’s sister and her boyfriend, the pair went on the run before they were found and arrested.

2. Police officer shot dead in Paris in targeted attack at Champs-Élysées.


Police officers were deliberately targeted in the fatal Paris Champs-Élysées avenue shooting, but it is too early to say what the motive was, French Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet says.

Police sources had said earlier that the shooting could have been an attempt at an armed robbery.

Paris police said the gunman killed a police officer and wounded at least one other before being killed himself.

A police source told Reuters there had been two assailants, while a witness saw one man get out of a car at the scene and begin shooting with a machine gun.

READ MORE: Mamamia’s full coverage of the Champs-Élysées shooting.

3. Mystery shrouds ‘bizarre’ death of elderly woman believed dead for four months in her home.


Police are investigating after the body of an 81-year-old woman, who is believed to have been dead since before Christmas, was found in her Bendigo home.

7 News reports the elderly woman was so badly decomposed, it is likely she had been dead for at least four months. Bizarrely, neighbours have reported another woman had been living at the house during that time.

Police say the woman, who neighbours say put out the bins and walked the dog, has been living in the house since the 81-year-old woman died.

Police have confirmed they took a statement from a woman on Thursday, but she was later released without charge.

A report is now being prepared for the Coroner.

4. The parents of a little girl hit by a car in Perth say they forgive the driver.

The family of an eight-year-old who was hit by a car in Perth’s south say they do not blame the driver, The West Australian reports.

The girl was crossing a road shortly after 1pm on Thursday, when she was struck by a car travelling at around 60 km/h. It’s believed she misjudged a gap in the traffic.

The incident took place just metres from a local police station, with onlookers rushing to help.

The girl’s stepfather, Jai Kelly, told 7 News the family understood the crash was just a terrible accident.


“It was an accident, these things happen. We hope he is okay,” Jai said.

The girl is currently in Princess Margaret Hospital in a “serious but stable” condition and is undergoing precautionary head scans to confirm she has no other major injuries.

5. Woman jailed for 10 years after stabbing a man 70 times on the orders of her abusive boyfriend.

A woman who stabbed a man with an axe 70 times in June 2014 has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars for defensive homicide, 9 News reports.

Bonnie Sawyer-Thompson was just 19-years-old and in an “ice-addled state” when her abusive partner ordered her to kill Jack Nankervis.

Bonnie said her boyfriend, Phil Mifsud, threatened to kill her family if she didn’t go through with the crime.

The court heard that she was subjected to humiliation and violent abuse by Mifsud, who put a gun to her head and “forced her to swallow bullets”.

She was initially charged with murder, but she was later allowed to plead guilty to the lesser charge of defensive homicide.

Mifsud left the home while his girlfriend’s attack took place, but later reported the discovery of the body. He has never been charged over the murder.

During sentencing, Justice Michael Croucher described the murder as “merciless, grisly and disturbing”.

“Plainly she meant to kill him and she did,” Justice Croucher said.

6. Couple critically injured after their plane crashed in a NSW paddock.


A young pilot and his passenger are in critical condition after the light plane they hired for a sightseeing flight suffered suspected engine failure and crashed southwest of Sydney, AAP reports.

The male pilot, 24, and his female passenger, 23, hired the 1977 single-engine Piper plane at Camden Airport on Thursday morning for a one-hour private flight.

“It’s just a club member doing a normal everyday flight,” Ben Holloway of the Phoenix Flying School told AAP after the crash.

“Just local sightseeing around Camden.”

NSW Police say the plane suffered engine failure shortly after taking off from the airport and crash-landed in a paddock in a residential area off Macquarie Grove Rd, at Kirkham, about 11.20am.

The injured pair was rescued by the crew of a police helicopter on a training exercise, which landed at the crash site to assist. No one else was in the four-seater plane.

Fire and Rescue NSW sprayed a “foam blanket” over the plane after the incident.

The pilot was treated at the scene for facial, head and limb injuries while the woman was treated for a limb injury, a NSW Ambulance spokesperson said.

They were taken to Liverpool Hospital where they remain in critical but stable condition.

Do you have a story to share with Mamamia? Email us [email protected]

00:00 / ???