true crime

Police arrest partner of Sydney woman beaten to death 'with cricket bat'.

Police have arrested the partner of a woman fatally bashed in Sydney’s south, as neighbours remember the victim as a “kind, good-natured” person.

Stephen Boyd was arrested at Braidwood, east of Canberra, just before 5:00pm in relation to the death of his partner Tina Kontozis.

The 51-year-old is understood to have been beaten to death with a cricket bat in her home in Bundeena.

Police set up a crime scene after emergency services were called to the house about 3:30pm on Sunday.

On Monday morning, forensic officers examined the property.

Police were earlier searching for Mr Boyd’s car after he was believed to have left the Beachcomber Avenue residence in a silver 2002 Holden Commodore.

A 17-year-old who was also at the property at the time of the attack is in St George Hospital with an injured arm and cut to the head.

Detective Chief Inspector Terry O’Neill said police were notified of the incident by a neighbour.

“It was a neighbour in the bottom flat of the house that called triple-0,” Inspector O’Neill said.

Police did not confirm or deny widely understood reports that a cricket bat had been used in the alleged assault.

Flowers have been placed near the house in memory of Ms Kontozis, who neighbour Kim Clegget said was “really loved” by the whole community.

Woman remembered as ‘happy-go-lucky’ neighbour.

Neighbours have been paying tribute to Ms Kontozis.

“[She] was just one of those bubbly, happy-go-lucky people,” one lady, who said she had known her Ms Kontozis for years, told the ABC.

“She always had time to talk to you, never had a bad word to say about anybody. She was just a really kind, good-natured person.

“It’s just a tragedy, the whole community is just devastated.

“It’s just horrific, shocking circumstances.”

Ms Clegget described the 17-year-old as “lovely”, adding that a candlelit vigil would be held on the beach for the woman on Monday evening.

A local man who knew the family but wished to remain anonymous told the media the community was in shock.

“It’s horrifying news,” he said.

“I can’t understand how this would have happened.”

This post originally appeared on ABC News.

© 2016 Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. Read the ABC Disclaimer here.

00:00 / ???