The death of this baby serves as a stark warning to all of us.
“I woke up at around 4.30am and saw that Leia-Mai was not breathing and her lips had turned blue.”
“I took her out of the swing, gave mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and dialled 999.”
“When the paramedics arrived I pleaded with them to get my baby to breathe.”
These are the heartbreaking words from a mother who couldn’t save her child.
The death of a three-month old girl in UK has reminded us of the dangers facing our infants – some in ways that many of us take for granted to be safe.
Last June 12-week old Leia-Mae was given her nighttime bottle and placed in a baby bouncer. She had spent the day shopping with her mother and two siblings for Father’s Day presents. Her exhausted mother fell asleep on the couch.
When 24-year old mother, Danielle Jones from Gloucestershire in the UK woke up at 4am her baby daughter Leia-Mai Smith was unresponsive.
The desperate mother-of-three attempted mouth-to-mouth and called paramedics but tragically it was too late.
In a statement she said,
“It all seemed so unreal, like a bad dream, and I thought I would suddenly wake up and it would all be okay.
I love my children dearly and live every day with this pain.
She may just have been a baby but she was my baby.”
An inquest in the UK into the death of the three-month old came just days after a warning in the The Journal of Pediatrics which found that “sitting devices” like car seats, swings, and bouncers can lead to injury and even death if babies are allowed to sleep in them.
Researchers examined the deaths of 47 young children under the age of two, all of which occurred while in a device made for sitting or carrying.
Two-thirds of the deaths occurred in car seats, while the rest occurred in slings, swings, bouncers, and strollers.
Asphyxiation (positional or strangulation) was the cause of death in 46 cases; 52 percent of the deaths were caused by strangulation from the device’s straps.