Are you on this list?
How are your school holidays going?
We’ve reached about the mid point now, but there is a stretch to go yet.
Whether you are having a beach holiday away, a stay-cation at home or you are juggling the demands of a working holiday there are nine types of mums you are sure to meet.
1. The activity Mum: Her kids are not sitting still. If they aren’t booked into tennis camp, they are packing up the kites for a day at the sand dunes. There is something scheduled everyday in an attempt to make the most every minute.
2. The Beach Mum: Oh beach-Mum I admire you. Every night at 8pm you have the car packed, the tent ready (and folded correctly), the buckets, the spades, the ten changes of clothes, the sunscreen, the esky and the boogie boards all ready to go once again. You withstand the Muuuuummmm-I–am-sandy. You hold out strong against the the Muuuuummm-I-want-to-go-home. You are our Summer-Mummy Guru.
3. The I hate holidays Mum: You thrive on the regularity of routine. The holidays throw you big time don’t they? Each and every time I run into you, all I hear is a countdown to how many days back to school. I know you love your kids, but this time of year is not when you excel.
4. The Earth Mum: Her kids have been to each and every farmers market these holidays, they’ve snacked on dried kale and cacao balls and they have cruised along in the Kombi from Eumundi to Nimbin. These kids have danced under the stars to the beat of drums and smelt the scent of strange smoke far in the distance. They won’t know what hit them when school goes back.
5. The false impressions Mum: oh you luuuuurrrrvvvveeee school holidays don’t you? All that meaningful time you spend together. You love to show us just how much each and every second of holidays is a privilege, a thrill, a moment to be embraced. Except secretly you can’t bare it. Secretly, you just want the safety and security of term time to return. Secretly, the kids have taken over your life and you just want a teeny tiny bit of me time back. Oh when will it end?