A candlelit vigil as a town and a nation mourns the alleged murder of Stephanie Scott.

As the town of Leeton struggles to come to terms with the murder of Stephanie Scott, further details have emerged about her accused killer Vincent Stanford — and the search for the young teacher’s body continues.


Police divers have seized a laptop from a canal only a few kilometres from where Stephanie Scott’s car was dumped.

They have also located another vehicle in relation to the investigation.  It is confirmed Vincent Stanford — the man accused of Ms Scott’s murder — was in possession of the vehicle.

Despite having seized the vehicle, authorities are making a second appeal to the public for information from anyone who saw the white Toyota Hilux space cab traveling in or around Leeton in recent days.

Police could not confirm at this point whether the laptop is linked to the investigation.

The search is continuing with multiple personnel on the case from across the state, including volunteers, SES members, divers, forensic analysts, detectives and trail bikes to arrive this afternoon.

“What we need we are getting, and it’s on a needs basis,” a police spokesperson told the media.

Mamamia previously reported…

Stephanie Scott’s fiance has made the terrible journey to the place where his partner was last seen – the place where she worked, was loved and admired, and also from where her alleged killer may have taken her on Easter Sunday.

Stephanie Scott’s partner of five years, 24-year-old Aaron Leeson-Woolley, embraced the family of Stephanie as together they visited a makeshift memorial which has emerged on the gates of the high school where she worked.

He broke down as he read the tributes, and touched the flowers laid by locals.

The partner of Stephanie Scott visits the memorial.

The memorial, adorned with yellow ribbons and balloons, messages of love and grief and flowers has become a focus for a town consumed with grief and shock at the murder of the woman due to be married tomorrow.

Related content: Stephanie Scott’s family should be preparing for a wedding not a funeral.

Friends, family, students and locals have visited to light a candle, write a message and lay flowers at the site.

Flowers that should have been decorating the tables at her wedding, instead laid silently in sorrow at the school.

Stephanie Scott’s partner knelt cradling his head struck by his grief while her devastated parents and sister Robyn wept. Ms Scott’s family spent more than half an hour at the tribute.

Stephanie’s disappearance

Stephanie Scott, a 26-year-old English and drama teacher at Leeton High School, was due to be married tomorrow to Mr Leeson-Woolley but disappeared from the town on Easter Sunday.

She was last seen at the school on Myrtle Street at about 11am where she was planning the lessons for a replacement teacher who would fill in for her while she was on her honeymoon.


Her sister Robyn told Fairfax Media that her Ms Scott was incredibly excited about her wedding.

“I spoke to her on that Saturday night, and she was over the moon, she was so excited. She had been to Griffith that day shopping and getting ready for the honeymoon,” she said.

Robyn posted a tribute to her sister yesterday on Facebook.

Last night a candlelit vigil was held in the town with hundreds of students and friends of Ms Scott remembering the much-loved teacher.

The search continues

Today police will continue their search for the body of Ms Scott scouring waterways and focusing on the bush land where her car was found.

Fairfax Media reports today’s search is expected to concentrate on the area near where Ms Scott’s red Mazda was found abandoned, beside a wheat field and near the vineyard.

Police divers have arrived in Leeton, are expected to search an irrigation dam at the vineyard, about 8km outside Leeton.

Police were seen placing forensic markers through the vineyard on yesterday, and this morning were conducting line searches in the area on Friday morning.

State Emergency Service volunteers are also expected to join the search today.

Vincent Stanford

Yesterday school cleaner 24-year old Vincent Stanford was refused bail over the murder. Police allege that between 11am and 7.20pm on Sunday, April 5, Mr Stanford killed her and dumped her body.

It is reported that they grew suspicious when his story about his whereabouts on the day she went missing was inconsistent.

Police allege they found blood in Mr Stanford’s car and images on a mobile phone of a burnt body.

Detectives will allege they found keys which had been given to Ms Scott in the home of Mr Stanford.

Mr Stanford had passed all police checks requited to work at the school.

He had only been living in Leeton for 13 months. He was born in Tasmania but spent many years living in Holland with his family before moving back to Australia and settling in Leeton.

The Daily Telegraph report that he lives with his mother, a nurse, and another family member. He has a twin brother who lives in South Australia.

He was said to be quiet and polite and according to The Age spent the day after Ms Scott was murdered hanging his washing on the line and greeting his neighbours.

Vincent Stanford was remanded in custody and will appear in court again in June.

Today police will continue the search for Stephanie Scott’s body.

A fundraising page has been set up to help the family of Stephanie Scott you can access that here.