According to one scientist, perhaps all we need is a little Coldplay to help us along. Spotify has partnered with music psychologist, David M. Greenberg, to create a playlist that’s “scientifically engineered” to help you rise and shine without the aid of Berocca. All 20 songs on the Wake Up playlist have three things in common:
1. They slowly build
Dr. Greenberg and the team and Spotify understand that nobody wants to wake up to the musical equivalent of a fog horn.
Apparently these are the 14 things successful people do when they wake up. (Post continues after video.)
2. They’re positive.
They emanate good vibes and uplifting lyrics to get you feeling good about the fact the sun probably still hasn’t risen.
3. They all have a strong beat.
More specifically, beats two and four of each measure are emphasised, and all the tunes all have a timing of 100-130 beats per minute. In non-musical terms: they’re good to tap your feet to.
Here’s the playlist all its promising glory:
- Coldplay – Viva La Vida
- St. Lucia – Elevate
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – Downtown
- Bill Withers – Lovely Day
- Avicii – Wake Me Up
- Pentatonix – Can’t Sleep Love
- Demi Lovato – Confident
- Arcade Fire – Wake Up
- Hailee Steinfeld – Love Myself
- Sam Smith – Money On My Mind
- Esperanza Spalding – I Can’t Help It
- John Newman – Come and Get It
- Felix Jaehn – Ain’t Nobody (Loves Me Better)
- Mark Ronson – Feel Right
- Clean Bandit – Rather Be
- Katrina & The Waves – Walking on Sunshine
- Imagine Dragons – On Top of the World
- MisterWives – Reflections
- Carly Rae Jepsen – Warm Blood
- iLoveMemphis – Hit The Quan. (Post continues after this delicious and very rousing coffee gallery)