opinion

Emergency services issue snake bite warning after 6yo girl's death in western NSW.

NSW emergency services have issued a snake warning after the death of a young girl who was bitten by a brown snake.

The six-year-old girl was bitten at a property near Walgett, in the state’s west, on Friday at 3:00pm (AEDT).

She was taken to Walgett Hospital where she was administered anti-venom.

She was later flown to Sydney Children’s Hospital where she was placed on life support.

Her condition deteriorated and she was transferred back to Walgett Hospital where she died on Saturday.

NSW Ambulance warned residents to be wary of snakes during the warmer months and to call triple-0 in the event of any bites.

The service said bites on limbs should be treated by applying a pressure immobilisation bandage, but not so tight it could cut off circulation.

For bites on other parts of the body, it recommended applying direct and firm pressure to the bite site with hands and keeping the patient still.

People were advised to check any items of clothing that had been left outside before wearing them and to ensure objects such as rocks were facing away from the body when being lifted.

This post was originally published on ABC

Tags: children , health , kids , news-2 , parenting-2
00:00 / ???