New mum Vivienne Wardrop, from the Gold Coast, says the past few days have been “terrifying.”
Her 10-month-old son, usually a happy healthy baby boy, became desperately ill and ended up in intensive care.
The new mum had earlier taken her son, Logan, to her local shopping centre and placed him in the trolley without even considering he might be at risk.
It wasn’t until the next day when her 10-month-old woke up desperately ill that she second guessed her everyday shopping trip.
Vivienne told Mamamia that watching Logan change from a "bubbly little baby" to a baby who "couldn't barely open his eyes" or "barely respond" was one of the scariest things she has ever gone through.
Her Facebook post has gone viral after warning other parents to be careful as she “never thought something like this could happen”.
"Just wanted to warn parents against using baby seats in trolley without wiping down or using a blanket.
Didn't even think about it just popped him in and did a quick shop. I hadn't been anywhere with him in a week so doctors advised only place he could of gotten it.
My 10-month old woke up the next morning so sick. Took him to hospital and he ended up in intensive care for 8 days. He ended up catching adenovirus, rotavirus, salmonella poisoning and got meningitis because of the strain on his body. Ended up with a central line as his veins were collapsing due to severe dehydration. He was in hospital for a total of 10 days and will still take another week or 2 to fully recover.
So please be careful I never thought something like this could happen.”
Vivienne told Mamamia that she will never forget watching his eyes roll in the back of his head and go floppy.
"It is something no parent should ever have to experience," she said.
For years we have been told shopping trolleys can be germ havens.
A study in 2011 warned us that shopping trolleys contain more dirt and grime than the average public toilet. The study found that 72% of trolleys came up positive for faecal bacteria and half showed traces of the potentially deadly bug E. coli.
Researchers said that the germs usually came from people failing to wash their hands adequately after going to the toilet.
Just five years after that study we have seen an increased consumer awareness about germs and the rise of anti-bacterial products on mass. It’s hard to go into a supermarket these days without being bombarded with them, and many offer a free “wipe” near the shopping trolley dock.