This competition is now closed – well done to our winners Bron, azza4, JaneY and Jules.
The other night my husband called me from his office. He was just about to come home and he wanted to know if I needed anything. Of course I did. I always do, which is why I asked him to bring home a genie. Maybe one in a bottle just for authenticity.
These are just some of the things I needed the genie to do that night
1. Tell me where I could get a multiplications CD for my son who can sing the lyrics of every Katy Perry song but struggles with his 8 times tables
2. Suggest a takeaway venue that my husband would not recognise and that also supplied healthy and nutritious meals in packaging that might make you think it was homemade (the food not the packaging)
3. Organise the skiing trip that my husband is taking my son on. I don’t get to go on the trip but I am required to source warm, waterproof clothing and er, 189 other things
4. Get the dog groomed because I am sure that his smell was one of the reasons that propelled my husband to take my son skiing
5. Find out what time Bridesmaids was screening on the weekend
6. Find a babysitter so that we could go and see Bridesmaids on the weekend
7 Find a place where I could have my passport pictures taken after hours and within a 10km radius (this is actually harder than you think)
It’s not the first time I have asked him to bring home a genie but this time I was desperate and a little taken aback that he arrived home empty handed. When I sulked and demanded to know why he explained that they don’t exist. But, he was careful not to shatter me completely without building me back up again and explained kindly that I didn’t actually need a genie – what I needed was a personal assistant.