Your speedy update on all the day’s big stories, Thursday, May 1 2014
An American man felt the wrath of a bitter squirrel when he attempted to take a photo with it during a walk. The Reddit user, named Supplenupple, was on a hike when he spotted the cute squirrel on the board-walk rail and made use of the opportunity, taking a selfie with the furry mammal (left). The unsuspecting man wasn't ready for what happened next... He told Buzzfeed: "I approached it making a clicking noise with my tongue; phone drawn. When I got close enough, the squirrel actually tried grabbing my phone. I shook it off, then snapped this photo. Next thing I knew, the squirrel was on my shoulder, then under my shirt, and then hanging off my back! This photo (above) is courtesy of my mom, who collapsed laughing shortly after."
A 3.5 metre wide sinkhole which caused the closure of the Bruce Highway today for 14 hours has finally been filled and the highway has reopened. The sinkhole was initially thought to be 2m wide but it grew to 3.5m and 1.5m deep. A northbound lane collapsed on the highway, 20km south of Bowen. A Department of Transport and Main Roads spokesperson said the sinkhole was caused by water that was seeping through the road, adding: “We have done excavation and repairs throughout the night and our priority is the safety of all road users and reopening the road as soon as possible."
Controversial BPAs, found in many plastic bottles and containers, is subject to a new warning. A study, published in the The Journal of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology has shown that the controversial compound could be causing obesity and diabetes. Bisphenol A (BPA) is banned in most countries in the world but in Australia it is still used in the manufacture of plastic containers. BPA can leak from the container into food or drink, particularly when heated. Deakin University has found a new pathway for BPA to spread in the body. Dr Yann Gibert believes that Australia needs to introduce a ban on BPA, or revise consumption levels. Current guidelines say it is safe to ingest up to 50 micrograms of BPA per day. However the new study shows that these guidelines need to be re-thought. In Europe the intake is soon to be dropped to 5 micrograms per kilo per day.