Sydney mum-of-four Felicity Hughes has plenty of experience when it comes to babies and cots. She’s always been careful to follow the safe sleeping guidelines. But despite that, she nearly lost her 17-month-old daughter Eleanor earlier this week when she became twisted in a blanket.
“I put her to bed as I usually do,” Hughes remembers. “She was in a sleeping bag with a light waffle-weave blanket over her. Her feet were at the bottom of the cot. The blanket was tightly tucked in at the bottom of the cot with no folded-over part. It only went to her shoulders.
“I tuned in her monitor and stood at the door so she could see me, as I do every other night. She was thrashing round, as she does. I was not looking at her, on purpose, but was listening. She went quiet suddenly and I started to ease away from the door thinking, ‘Wow, that was quick!’
“I often creep away so she can’t see me but I peeked over and thank God I did. The blanket was completely covering her head, twisted over her neck and tightly across her body. She couldn’t move and was not making any noise. It gave me a horrendous fright!
“I keep feeling sick every time I think of how I was just about to walk away.”