Lili Curtis was reminded of two words by a friend after her daughter, Arabella had been turned away from Queensland’s Gold Coast University hospital eight times over the course of 17 days.
Those two words prevented what could have been yet another tragic case of misdiagnosis in our hospitals, prompting doctors to reexamine her symptoms which were diagnosed and treated as bronchiolitis.
Those words were Ryan’s Rule.
What is Ryan’s Rule?
On the 26th of September, 2007, a nearly three year-old Ryan Saunders passed away as a result of toxic shock syndrome caused by a serious bacterial infection that went undiscovered by doctors at both the Emerald and Rockhampton Base hospitals.
Four years later, the then-state coroner, Michael Barnes found Ryan’s death to be preventable had swifter action been taken to address his parents’ concerns.