Rudy Farias reportedly disappeared 8 years ago. Police say he was never missing.

Content warning: This story mentions suicide and may be distressing to some readers.

Over a week after he was found alive in Houston, Texas, police say Rudolph "Rudy" Farias was never missing. 

Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, Houston Police Department detectives said Rudy's mother, Janie Santana, had 'deceived' police and the 25-year-old had not disappeared during the eight-year period that he was reported missing. 

Police said Rudy returned home the day after he was reported missing in 2015 following a walk with his dogs. 

"Rudy’s mother continued to deceive police by remaining adamant that he was still missing," said Lieutenant Christopher Zamora.

Zamora added that Rudy and his mother had previous interactions with Houston Police Department officers but they were given "fictitious names and dates of births".

He said Rudy has been connected with Victims Services and is currently "safe" and back with his mother "by choice". 

Prosecutors did not file any charges against Janie or Rudy at this stage. 

Janie had previously released a statement after her son was found unresponsive outside of a church in Houston around 10pm last Thursday.

"A good Samaritan located him unresponsive and immediately called police and 911," she said in the statement, as per the ABC.

"My son Rudy is receiving the care he needs to overcome his trauma, but at this time, he is non-verbal and not able to communicate with us."


It was earlier reported Rudy had been suffering from depression at the time of his disappearance after losing his older brother in a motorcycle accident when he was just 13. 

"He watched his best friend die right in front of him," Brenda Paradise, a private investigator hired by his family, told the publication.

"His brother was his best friend in the world. He’s just gone through so much more than anyone his age ever should."

A flyer from the time of his disappearance claimed Rudy had also been suffering from PTSD and anxiety, and had likely stopped taking his medication.


Family members had previously spotted Rudy staying behind the home of a relative in September 2018, three years after he disappeared.

Police spokesman John Cannon said Rudy's family reported the sighting to police, but when investigators went to the relative's home, "they could not locate him", which saw the investigation remain open.

The investigation continues.  

If you think you may be experiencing depression or another mental health problem, please contact your general practitioner. If you're based in Australia, 24-hour support is available through Lifeline on 13 11 14 or beyondblue on 1300 22 4636.

This article was originally published on July 6, 2023, and was updated on July 7, 2023. 

Feature Image: Instagram@txcenterforthemissing 

Do you have any Streaming Video Services in your household? e.g. Netflix, Binge, etc. We want to hear from you! Take our survey now to go in the running to win a $50 gift voucher.