AFL club Fremantle says there’s no need to reopen a sexual harassment storm engulfing the club after coach Ross Lyon was named in media reports as the man allegedly at the centre of the allegations.
Lyon allegedly made an inappropriate comment to a junior staff member at the club’s Christmas function several years ago, The Age reported on Monday.
The issue became public earlier this month when it was reported a Fremantle club official made a secret payment to a former staff member to settle a sexual harassment complaint.
The official had remained anonymous until The Age named Lyon on Monday.
The Dockers released a statement acknowledging the report, but chief executive Steve Rosich said the matter had already been investigated by the club and the AFL and no further action was necessary.
The matter only came to light late last year, at which point the club notified the AFL of the incident.
“This was a workplace matter that has been resolved by the club and independently investigated by the AFL’s Integrity Unit at the request of the club, the subject of the complaint, and with due respect and care for our former employee,” Rosich said in a statement.
“With regard to the requested investigation under the AFL’s Respect and Responsibility Policy, the league completed it some months ago to the AFL’s and the club’s full satisfaction and no sanction was imposed.”
Last week, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said the league was satisfied Fremantle had dealt with the matter correctly.
Last week, the AFL handed Port Adelaide player Sam Powell-Pepper a three-match ban after finding him guilty of being intoxicated in a public place and making inappropriate contact with a female.