"There was hope we would find him." Body of missing student discovered in Victorian bushland, & more in News in 5.

-With AAP.

1. “There was hope we would find him.” Body of missing student discovered in Victorian bushland.

Missing for days after an argument with mates at a Victorian country pub, Indian student Poshik Sharma has been found dead in bushland.

Police on Monday said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the 21-year-old’s death.

His body was found near Marysville, northeast of Melbourne.

“There is no suggestion of foul play. We don’t believe there were any suspicious circumstances,” police Inspector David Ryan said.

“There was hope we would find him. I believed he was back in Melbourne, not wishing to engage with anybody. I didn’t think for a minute that we would find him deceased.

“It is very disappointing.”

Sharma had not spoken to family or friends, used his phone or social media since he disappeared.

Insp Ryan told ABC Radio police believed from a witness account that Sharma had attempted to hitchhike away from Marysville back to Melbourne.

Sharma was reported missing after he left the Duck Inn pub at about 4.30pm on Thursday after an argument with friends.

Police had been concerned for his welfare given the amount of time he’d been missing and the run of cold overnight temperatures.

A dam was drained, with a walking track and bushland searched to try to find him.

A witness told investigators Mr Sharma was seen attempting to hitchhike away from Marysville back to Melbourne.

2. Bones of missing French backpacker Erwan Ferrieux reportedly discovered.

Nearly five months since French backpacker Erwan Ferrieux was last seen on the NSW mid-north coast, police believe they have found his bones on two beaches.


Mr Ferrieux, 21, and British tourist Hugo Palmer, 20, have not been seen since passers-by discovered their belongings at Shelly Beach near Port Macquarie in February.

Their rental car was found in a nearby car park, with other belongings – including travel documents – still inside.

Police believed the pair may have drowned.

A ground and water search involving police divers, Marine Rescue and SES failed to find them.

A human bone was found in the water at nearby Flynns Beach on June 15 and two days later another two bones were found in the water at nearby Flat Rock.

DNA testing indicated the three bones belonged to Mr Ferrieux and were matched against DNA found in the backpackers’ vehicle, police said on Monday.

“DNA comparison of the three bones located in June have confirmed that they did come from the same male person,” Superintendent Paul Fehon told reporters in Port Macquarie on Monday.

“We believe from the DNA comparisons that it belongs to Erwan Ferrieux.”

Police are investigating if a small human bone found by passers-by on Sunday afternoon at Flynns Beach also belongs to Mr Ferrieux. It will be subject to forensic analysis which could take several weeks.

Supt Fehon said the bone was found at the northern end of Flynns Beach, whereas the others were found on the southerly end.

The bone is from a different part of the anatomy, he added.

Following the discovery, police and State Emergency Service officers will search the area and surrounding beaches on Monday at low tide.

Mr Palmer and Mr Ferrieux have been close friends for years, according to their Facebook pages.

They both appear to have attended Sackville School, south of London.

The discovery comes as police continue to investigate what happened to Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez who disappeared without a trace some 315 kilometres away in Byron Bay on May 31.

The 18-year-old traveller was last seen on CCTV walking through the popular seaside NSW town after leaving the Cheeky Monkey’s bar about 11pm.

His belongings, including his passport, were also left untouched at the Wake Up hostel in Byron Bay.

Police spent nearly a month searching for Mr Hayez but failed to find him.


3. Doctor working at Lost Paradise festival wasn’t capable of treating MDMA overdoses.

The only doctor rostered to work the first two days of a NSW music festival where a young Brisbane man died, has admitted to an inquest he wasn’t capable of treating life-threatening MDMA overdoses

Krishna Sura treated Joshua Tam before the 22-year-old died of complications from using MDMA at Central Coast festival Lost Paradise attended by 11,000 people.

Dr Sura hadn’t worked in an emergency department for eight years and was “not at all” capable of putting tubes down someone’s throat unsupervised or dealing with other elements of a life-threatening MDMA overdose.

He told the NSW Coroner’s Court on Monday he raised his limitations with the boss of the festival’s medical services provider, Mike Hammond.

“(He told me) that won’t be required as there will be intensive care paramedics on site,” Dr Sura said.

“I think they were struggling to get doctors … (as) he requested I work at this festival.”

Co-founder and festival promoter Simon Beckingham told the inquest Dr Sura’s abilities surprised him and he had an expectation patrons requiring drug-related emergency treatment would receive critical care on-site.

He said planning for the 2019 festival had gone to “a higher level”.

Intensive care paramedic Mark Wheatley, who began a shift about 4.15pm – two hours before Mr Tam arrived – said it was immediately clear to him resources were lacking.

He pointed to risk factors including patrons being mostly young adults, the party environment, the event’s remote location 20km west of Gosford and temperatures approaching 40C.


But partly due to poor mobile reception and the private contractor not organising an onsite ambulance supervisor, he said he didn’t raise the risks with his superiors before Mr Tam presented about 6.15pm.

When he arrived in company of an unknown woman, Mr Tam was combative, had a temperature of 43C and a heart rate of 190, the court was told.

Mr Wheatley, an intensive care paramedicine since 1986, said he took over and sedated the agitated man.

Mr Tam went into cardiac arrest en route to Gosford Hospital where he died about 7.50pm.

One of Mr Tam’s friends told the court they lost contact with the man he called “Bobby” before 5pm and spent the next hours trying to locate him.

“I would call Bob’s phone as I was only one with reception,” the friend who cannot be identified told the inquest.

Eventually, police found and told him to go to the medical tent, where little information was offered on Mr Tam’s condition.

“Given how they were acting, I basically thought he was in a stable condition and he was ok,” he said.

“Then (police) came and got his bag and that’s when everyone starting fretting.”

He said drug-checking at festivals was a no-brainer.

“Having experienced it now and how much his death has affected myself and everyone, if we can save one person (with pill testing) then we’ve done our job,” the friend said.

“I think we need to drill into them the actual effect those particular substances do to your bod, what will actually happen.”

4. MH17 victim Fatima Dyczynski’s car returned to parents in Western Australia.


A much-loved car owned by a woman who was killed on MH17 sat in a corporate car park in The Netherlands for years before being brought to her parents in Western Australia, where she had been bound.

Aerospace engineer Fatima Dyczynski, 25, was among 38 Australians who died when the Malaysian Airlines flight was shot down over eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014.

Her parents Jerzy Dyczynski and Angela Rudhart-Dyczynski said it wasn’t until April last year that one of her friends pointed out her BMW was still in Amsterdam.

The Dyczynskis have now brought the convertible to Perth and had it registered on Friday, saying it was a complex process helped by Australian politicians, government department workers, IBM executives and the airline.

West Australian Transport Minister Rita Saffioti, who was part of the collective effort, said she was relieved to hear Fatima’s pride and joy was now with her parents.

“I cannot imagine the pain they have endured and I hope having Fatima’s car being with them now helps them in their grieving process,” Ms Saffioti told AAP.

The car is particularly meaningful to the couple given Fatima’s love of fine engineering.

They have described the atrocity as a crime against humanity, listing Ukraine’s failure to close air space over the rebel-controlled combat zone as the top reason it happened.

5. Australian Federal Police sought ABC reporters’ fingerprints.

Federal police wanted to fingerprint two ABC journalists involved in a series of stories about Australia’s special forces allegedly carrying out unlawful killings in Afghanistan.


A letter from the Australian Federal Police to journalists Dan Oakes and Sam Clark was emailed on April 1 – two months before AFP officers raided the ABC’s Sydney headquarters seeking leaked documents relating to the stories.

The ABC said the email stated the AFP was “requesting your consent to a forensic procedure being the copying of your finger and palm prints”, with the two journalists being suspects in relation to three alleged offences.

The ABC declined to comment further on Monday, beyond confirming the AFP request had been received.

The revelation followed a report in the Sydney Morning Herald which said the AFP had sought Oakes’ travel details from Qantas.

Labor’s home affairs spokeswoman Kristina Keneally blamed the coalition for not doing enough to protect press freedom.

“If journalism is not a crime in Australia, why is the Morrison government treating journalists like criminal suspects?” she said in a statement.

The ABC’s managing director David Anderson has asked for the investigation to be dropped and is pursuing legal action to declare the search warrant involved in the raid invalid.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton last week rejected calls for the police action to be dropped, saying having leaked top secret documents was an offence.

He said nobody was above the law, but insisted he would not interfere in the investigation.

The ABC is also seeking a permanent injunction stopping the AFP accessing the electronic files removed from Ultimo on a sealed USB stick.

Former military lawyer David McBride has been committed to stand trial charged with theft of commonwealth property, three counts of breaching the Defence Act and unauthorised disclosure of information.

The Australian Federal Police Association in June backed the professionalism and integrity of the officers involved in executing the search warrant.

News Corp journalist Annika Smethurst is also under police investigation after publishing a separate story based on leaked government information, which led to a raid on her Canberra home.

The parliamentary joint committee on intelligence and security has begun an inquiry into the impact of the exercise of law enforcement and intelligence powers on the freedom of the press.

Submissions to the inquiry close on July 26 and it is due to report in October.

00:00 / ???