Parenting is a tough gig.
For new mums especially, the first few months of parenthood are often spent in a wave of confusion, judgement and a whole lot of dirty nappies.
As such, most women turn to parenting books or good ol' trusty internet forums for advice on how to get through this challenging new period. But no one quite knows what to expect like mums who have survived it before (and even then, no one really knows what they're doing).
Watch: The Mamamia team confess times we were bad mums. Post continues below.
So, to help you get through this particularly messy, albeit rewarding period of your life, we asked the Mamamia community for the golden nuggets of wisdom they would give to first time mums.
Here's what they had to say:
1. "Everything that’s hard is only a phase and it too shall pass, so don’t get bogged down in a tough patch."
2. "Don’t be afraid to say no to visits while breastfeeding and bonding is being established."
3. "Trust your instincts. You're doing better than you think you are."
4. "Prioritise self-care and don't expect yourself to be the perfect mother and wife."
5. "Don’t be scared to ask for help. It doesn’t mean you are not an amazing mum!"
6. "Postpartum period isn’t just six weeks."
7. "You aren’t selfish for wanting to spend a week or two or more resting and bonding."
8. "You may not have that instant all-consuming 'love' for your child. That's not to say that you don't care for them just that it can take time to 'fall in love'."