"You potato." Nick Kyrgios has called out a fan who responded to Dave Hughes' tweet about throwing sets, & more in News in 5.

-With AAP.

1. “You potato.” Nick Kyrgios has called out a fan who responded to Dave Hughes’ tweet about throwing sets.

Nick Kyrgios has hit back at a tennis fan who suggested he “tanked” his fourth set against fellow Australian Jordan Thompson.

Kyrgios went on to win the five-set match 7-6 3-6 7-6 0-6 6-1. He dropped the fourth set in just 18 minutes before coming back with a dominant fifth set.

On Twitter, comedian Dave Hughes suggested gambling on tennis should be banned if players “blatantly throw sets”, alluding to Kyrgios’ poor fourth set.

The tweet received many passionate responses from fans, including a now-deleted reply that said: “Kyrgios tanked that 4th set. Gave up when he was down a break. P*ss weak.”

Kyrgios saw that tweet and decided to respond, calling the fan “a potato”.


At his post-match press conference after the win against Thompson, Kyrgios told journalists his bad 0-6 set was all part of his plan.

“If a boxer puts his hands down in a fight, does that mean he’s not trying? Yes, no? What’s that? It means he’s trying or not trying?” Kyrgios said.

“Could be a tactic, couldn’t it? How did the tactic pay off today? Good question. Oh, this is fun.”

Kyrgios will play Rafael Nadal in the second round of Wimbledon on Thursday.

He candidly admitted there was no love lost between the two, commenting that he and the Spaniard would be unlikely to grab a beer together at Wimbledon pub the Dog & Fox.

“I don’t know him very well. We have a mutual respect, but that’s about it.

“That’s just how it is. I get along with people, some people I don’t get along with.”

As well as conquering Nadal in Mexico in March, Kyrgios famously cut the 18-times grand slam champion down to size on Wimbledon’s centre court as a teenager on debut at Wimbledon in 2014.

He said he’d draw on that win as inspiration on Thursday.

“I’ve looked back on that moment. That’s never going to leave my tennis career. It was one of the most special moments I’ve ever had,” Kyrgios said.

Having split all six meetings with Kyrgios, Nadal is suitably wary.

“My thoughts are very clear: I play against a top talent player, a very dangerous player when he wants to play tennis,” said the world No.2.

“Normally against the best players, he wants to play tennis. When that happens, he’s a very dangerous opponent.”

2. Search for missing backpacker Theo Hayez suspended by police.

theo hayez missing
Theo Hayez. Image: Facebook.

The search for missing backpacker Theo Hayez, who disappeared without a trace in Byron Bay, has been suspended by police.

The 18-year-old traveller was last seen on CCTV walking through the popular seaside NSW town after leaving the Cheeky Monkey's bar about 11pm on May 31.

He's not been seen or heard from since.

After almost a month of searching, NSW Police on Wednesday announced it had suspended its extensive land, air and sea operation.

However, the investigation into what happened to Theo is ongoing, police say.

"We met with Theo's family today and we send our thoughts to them all, both here in Australia and abroad," Tweed/Byron Police Commander, Superintendent Dave Roptell said in a statement.

Theo's parents Laurent Hayez and Vinciane Delforge had travelled to Australia to help in the search for their son.

The family has requested privacy in the wake of the news.

In a post to the Byron Bay community Detective Chief Inspector Matt Kehoe announced news the search had come to an end "with much sadness".

"This was not an easy decision but has been done in communication with experts and importantly, Theo's family," he wrote.

"It has been a very emotional day for Theo's family members and those involved in this operation and it will no doubt take an emotional toll in our community."

Police have been searching for Theo since they were alerted to his disappearance by staff at the Wake Up! Hostel in Byron Bay on June 6.


Staff at the hostel raised the alarm six days after Theo failed to return. His belongings - including his passport - were left there untouched.

Officers from the local police district as well as the homicide squad, SES volunteers, NSW Surf Lifesaving and the Byron Bay community have scoured the area for any trace of him.

Dog, foot and aerial searches have failed to locate his clothing or phone, which volunteers feel could be key to learning his fate.

On the weekend, searchers were joined by officers from the Belgian Federal Police, who are supporting the investigation in an observer capacity.

The last "ping" from Theo's phone was recorded on June 1 in the area around the Cape Byron Lighthouse.

The final days of the search focused on this area, with abseiling crews descending down the cliffs surrounding the lighthouse in the search for clues.

Supt Roptell thanked all of those who helped in the search for Theo.

"It's times like this which shows the strength of our community," he said.

"Throughout the entire investigation, we have been liaising with the Belgian Federal Police, keeping them informed of our progress and working collaboratively with them."

3. "Scandalous lie." John Jarratt denies raping housemate in court video.

john jarratt wolf creek
John Jarratt in Wold Creek. Image: FFCA.

Wolf Creek film star John Jarratt emphatically denied to Sydney police that he raped his housemate in 1976, describing her claim as a "scandalous lie".

The actor said he had consensual sex with the woman and only learnt of her allegation four decades later when he saw a front page Daily Telegraph story headlined: "Wolf Creek star in rape claim".

"My father raised me to respect women," Jarratt said in a prepared statement he read out in a recorded police interview during which he was accompanied by his solicitor.

"It is unimaginable to me that I would ever have sex with a woman against her will."

The recording was played to the jury on Wednesday at his District Court trial.

He has pleaded not guilty to raping the woman in 1976 at the Sydney home they shared with his wife, Rosa Miano, and another female.

The complainant has testified she was woken about 3am one night when Jarratt ripped off her covers and underwear, unzipped his fly, pinned her down, covered her mouth with his hand and raped her.

She didn't go to police until November 2017.

In his statement, Jarratt told police he came home late after being told he had won the lead role in a movie and saw the woman's bedroom door was ajar when he came out of the bathroom.

"She was loud whispering to get my attention," he said.

She invited him into the room where they talked about his evening before "one thing led to another" and they became intimate, both willingly participating in consensual sex.

After that, Jarratt said they carried on like nothing had happened and never spoke about it.

He referred to a one-time housemate, a surfer called "Tree", who appeared to be madly in love with the woman.

But when he was told to move out after becoming nasty and persistent towards her, Tree came around "furiously inebriated" carrying a beer bottle and yelling for the woman to come outside.

Jarratt said, despite Tree being "six feet five and three-and-a half stone heavier than me", he confronted the "man mountain" who said he was going to knock the door down.

"I told him he had to knock me down," the actor said, telling police Tree then stomped off.

"I put myself at serious risk that night to prevent (the woman) from being harmed."


Jarratt said he felt he had a duty to stand in harm's way to "stop a woman being violated or hurt by someone".

Years later when his marriage was breaking down, he said he told his wife of the consensual sex he had with their housemate.

He believed there had been nothing but "pleasantness" between him and the woman until he saw the newspaper story.

"Having to explain this scandalous lie to my children and grandchildren has caused me grief."

He said he had never hit or hurt a woman physically, or been aggressive or forceful towards one.

Earlier, Suzanne Wyatt testified that the woman spoke to her "many, many, many times" over the years about been raped by Jarratt.

She first told her of the rape in the first couple of years after the women met in the early 1980s.

A former boyfriend of the woman said in the late 1970s, after they visited Jarratt and his wife, she told him the actor had previously raped her.

The trial is continuing.

4. Ex-NRL star Jarryd Hayne has bail changed so he can attend Bible school.

jarryd hayne
Image: Getty.

Daily prayers, lectures and worship are on the agenda for two-time NRL player-of-the-year Jarryd Hayne after he was permitted to attend a Christian missionary school in Perth while awaiting trial on rape charges.


The former Parramatta fullback, who was twice awarded the Dally M medal as the NRL's best player, was in Newcastle Local Court on Wednesday where he was committed to stand trial in the District Court on two counts of aggravated sexual assault.

The 31-year-old has not yet formally pleaded but his lawyer has previously indicated he denies sexually assaulting a 26-year-old woman in Newcastle on the night of the NRL grand final in September 2018.

The court heard the trial isn't expected to start before September 2020.

Meanwhile Hayne, who played eight NFL games for San Francisco after quitting the Eels in 2014, was successful in having his bail varied to permit him starting discipleship training with evangelical Christian organisation Youth with a Mission Perth on Sunday.

As part of the program and to abide by his new bail conditions, Hayne will live in a male-only dormitory and compulsorily attend lectures over three months.

The course focuses on Christian discipleship in areas of personal growth and basic training for service within Christian missions, training director Caleb Brownhill said.

That's followed by a three-month field assignment, although Hayne would require another bail variation to participate.

"This course develops participants in their personal understanding of God and relationship with Him as well as core concepts of missions and processes of evangelism," Mr Brownhill said in a statement to AAP.

"We are aware of the charges against Jarryd.

"Youth With a Mission Perth supports all our students in their desire to grow in Christian character. This would include Jarryd."

Two letters from YWAM Perth were presented to Mr Stone to assist Hayne's application, which was opposed by prosecutor Hamish Fitzhardinge on the grounds varying bail could put the community at risk.

Hayne went through the formal application process and disclosed the nature of his charges and background, his barrister Richard Pontello told the court.

"He's been assessed as suitable with full disclosure," he said.

The magistrate said any perceived risk to the community could be mitigated by continuing to require Hayne to report to police three times a week and by requiring the course provider to notify prosecutors if he failed to attend classes.


Hayne will be one of about 11 students doing the course, which YWAM Perth says can lead directly to related ministry opportunities.

He's expected to return to Newcastle District Court on July 25 for arraignment.

5. A black hospital patient went on a walk with an IV drip. Then he was arrested.

Police are investigating why a black man being treated for double pneumonia at a northern Illinois hospital was arrested when he walked outside pushing an IV stand he was connected to.

Shaquille Dukes, 24, posted on Facebook that an "overzealous, racist, security officer," confronted him outside Freeport Health Network while he was wearing a gown issued from the hospital.

Dukes said doctors had suggested he go for a walk and a hospital security officer accused him of trying to steal the IV stand to sell it on eBay.

A video of the June 9 incident shows Dukes and two other men being arrested on disorderly conduct charges by police in Freeport, Illinois.

According to the police report, the security officer called police when the three men shouted at him and approached him in what he believed was a threatening manner.

Police spokesman Dave Bayless said that when the security officer spotted Dukes and the other two men they were no longer on hospital property.

Freeport's city manager has asked a police chief from another community to conduct a probe to determine if the officers at the scene acted properly.