news

Friday's News in under 5 minutes.

Happy New Year! It’s a public holiday, and we’ve rounded up your top stories so you don’t have to go looking.

1. An alleged bomb hoax put a dampener on an otherwise successful NYE.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports a Dover Heights man was arrested around midnight, after allegedly issuing a bomb threat in a Military Road park on Sydney’s North Shore. The man was taken into custody at Waverley police station, and is expected to be charged with public mischief.

Despite this and other incidents, including 30 arrests in Sydney, and multiple assaults in W.A., police have praised revelers for their over-all good behaviour.

ABC reports, New South Wales Assistant Police Commissioner Mick Fuller has said the majority of party-goers behaved responsibly.

“Finishing on such a safe night and the fact that Sydneysiders were so well-behaved again, it was important for me to say happy New Years.”

In Melbourne, calls to triple zero were down by one third.

2. Munich train stations evacuated after NYE terror threats.

German authorities have evacuated two train stations in the German city due to evidence suggesting a planned terror attack.

ABC reports authorities suspect Islamic State was behind plans to carryout a terror attack among the city’s New Year’s Eve celebrations.

The city’s main railway station,  Haupbahnhof station, and a second station in Pasing neighbourhood have been evacuated. No train services are running at those stops.

Munich police have tweeted, warning citizens to avoid public transport and crowded, public areas.

In Berlin, police presence has been escalated at Brandenburg gate and surrounding areas.

3. Fire engulfs a 63-story building in Dubai ahead of New Year celebrations. 

BBC reports the Address Hotel went up in flames at approximately 9:30pm local time, and is now said to be largely under control.

The surrounding area was evacuated, and 16 people have suffered mostly minor injures. The hotel, which is booked out up to five years in advance, is located in Dubai’s downtown district.

The fireworks display at the world’s tallest building, Burj Khalifa, went ahead as planned at midnight.

4. Up to 20 sharks closed in on a NSW beach yesterday. 

Approximately 20 sharks were spotted in the water just of Hyams Beach, a popular tourist destination near Jervis Bay on the NSW coast.

Sydney Morning Herald reports about 100 people rushed from that water after life savers sounded an alarm just after 2.30pm yesterday.

It was the second incident in as many days, with up to eight sharks spotted dangerously close to a group of swimmers late on Wednesday afternoon.

Reports suggest as many as 60 sharks have been spotted near Wollongong, Shellharbour and Shoalhaven beaches this week.

5. A 44-year-old man is in custody after shooting on Tasmania’s east coast. 

ADVERTISEMENT

ABC reports the shooting took place at a property in Champ Street, Seymour at approximately 7pm New Year’s Eve.

Police say the man in question left the family home after and argument and returned with a .22 rifle.

It is alleged the man fire shots into a shed on the property, in which member’s of his family were located. One person sustained a gunshot wound to the arm, however hte injury was not considered serious.

The man then allegedly returned to his own home in the same street and continued to fire shots.

6. Victoria’s Great Ocean Road set to fully reopen in a matter of days.

Firefights have been able to gain control over a blaze near Wye River in the Great Otway Ranges National Park, and expect the Great Ocean Road to be fully reopened in the coming days.

ABC reports residents from Sugarloaf, Kennett River, Grey River and Wongarra were able to return home last night after being evacuated to Apollo Bay earlier on Thursday.

But despite a total fire-ban issues across the state yesterday, firefighters were called to 16 fires started by illegal fireworks.

“We are imploring with the community all across Victoria to heed the warnings about the use of illegal fireworks,” said Emergency Services Minister Jane Garrett, who was disappointed that despite such high levels of destruction in the area over the past week, some refused to heed warnings.

7. Sydney-siders left fuming after an exclusive NYE party fails to deliver.

The NYE Above The Harbour celebrations took place at The Domain’s Tarpeian Precinct last night, and failed to deliver on all accounts.

Tickets cost up to $500 and promised gourmet food, beverage packages, celebrity guests and views of the Harbour fireworks, but attendees in their droves have taken to social media to complain about the events lack of drinks, unusable toilet facilities and never-ending queues for inedible food.

“Enjoy an exclusive front row seat to Sydney’s Fireworks spectacular, elevated on the water’s edge, in the beautiful Tarpeian Precinct on Sydney Harbour. This is your opportunity to enjoy a relaxed, stress free NYE in beautiful surrounds, with the best view that Sydney has to offer complimented by a five star food experience,” their Facebook page promised.

And apparently failed to deliver.

The event’s Facebook page has been flooded with angry patrons, venting their frustrations and demanding their money back.

‘Here are some of the disgusting food you served us after 2.5hrs of waiting! I wouldn’t feed this to my dog!‘ posted attendee Chris Lee.

Image via Facebook/ChrisLee

‘This event is the worst among the NYE. 3 hours of queue just to get food, and the worst of all food is crap.’

‘What a rip off organizers!!!! I need my money back!!!’

‘You are a disgrace, a b****y disgrace. You will receive a phone call every day until you start refunding money. Tonight wasn’t worth $39.32.’

And we can’t say we blame them.

Tags: celebrity , entertainment-tv
00:00 / ???