News in 5: Nanny faked pregnancy to kidnap; Cyril Rioli retires; Free meningococcal jabs.

nanny faked pregnancy kidnapped baby

With AAP.

1. A nanny faked her pregnancy and kidnapped a baby she was trusted to care for.

A New Zealand nanny who faked her pregnancy and kidnapped a child to continue the ruse has been jailed in Auckland.

Nadene Faye Manukau-Togiavalu, 21, was sentenced on Tuesday to three years behind bars for kidnapping, burglary, criminal harassment, making an intimate visual recording and dishonestly using a document in Auckland District Court, The New Zealand Herald reported.

After wearing a fake pregnancy suit and staging a baby shower, Manukau-Togiavalu enlisted the help of her 18-year-old cousin, Sydnee Shaunna Taulapapa, to kidnap a then 11-day-old baby from a family for whom she had been working.

The father of the child, who remains unnamed, was home at the time of the kidnapping but had fallen asleep. He woke the following morning to Manukau-Togiavalu yelling that they’d been robbed and realised his daughter’s cot was empty.

CCTV footage at the family’s Epsom home captured Taulapapa entering through the back door and leaving moments later with the newborn in her arms. The father said “it was like watching something from a horror movie”.

“I saw a female wearing a balaclava, peering through our back window,” the Herald reports. “She exited through the same door carrying bags and the most precious thing in our lives.”

The newborn was found later that day. But in her address to the court during Manukau-Togiavalu’s sentencing, the little girl’s mother said “it was the worst seven hours” of her life.

“Many people have called this a parent’s worst nightmare and it was for me,” she said.

The new mum had been recovering from a medical procedure at the time of the kidnapping, and had enlisted the help of Manukau-Togiavalu, who was recommended to them by a nanny agency.

The family told the court the 21-year-old had a “good CV” and a reference from her cousin, Taulapapa.

Taulapapa was sentenced in April to 400 hours community service and discharged without conviction. The Solicitor-General has appealed the sentence.

2. Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli announces retirement to “return home”.

Image: Getty.

The AFL has lost a much-loved figure, with Hawthorn premiership star Cyril Rioli's decision to call time on his celebrated career.

The sublimely-talented, universally-admired small forward with the ability to make the impossible look effortless will grace the footy field no more.

Rioli was contracted to the Hawks until the end of the 2020 season but told his teammates of his decision to walk away from the game on Wednesday morning.

The 28-year-old spent time in home town Darwin at the end of last year to be with his father after he suffered a near-fatal heart attack.

Rioli was granted compassionate leave again in early June and again travelled with his family to Darwin.

In the end, the pull of home proved too much for the four-time premiership star.

"It was obviously a pretty difficult, but also in a way, easy decision," Rioli said of the his retirement call.

"I feel like things that have happened over the past 12 months have really affected me in many ways.

"I think it's just the right time in terms of going home and hanging up the boots.

"I've been pretty proud of what I've been able to achieve, I felt like I've had a really happy and good career.

"But I think it's just time for myself and my wife to return home and be amongst friends and family again ... I've been away for so long now.

"I'm looking forward to the next journey of my life."

Rioli, taken with pick No.12 at the 2007 draft, made 189 senior appearances for the Hawks, including the 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015 grand final wins, and kicked 275 goals.

He won the Norm Smith Medal for his dazzling display in the 2015 grand final win over West Coast and was an All-Australian on three occasions.

Rioli will now take some time out but has expressed a desire to remain involved with Hawthorn's indigenous programs in some capacity down the track.

3. South Australia introduces free meningococcal vaccine for babies.

The parents of a young South Australian boy who lost his legs and hands to deadly meningococcal B disease say a free vaccine will save lives.

Riley Nixon wasn't yet two years old when he woke up with vomiting and cold-like symptoms and was rushed to hospital.

"(We) got warned he's probably not going to make it," his mum, Amy Wales, said.

"It wasn't until four days later they finally gave us the all clear that he will make it but not without sacrifices."

The family have become advocates for free meningococcal B vaccinations and were on hand as Health Minister Stephen Wade announced the program on Wednesday.

The policy will provide immunisations for children aged up to 12 months and catch-up programs both for children aged under four and adolescents.

"It currently costs parents up to $500 for a full vaccination course to immunise their children - a cost which is out of reach for many," Mr Wade said.

The vaccinations will be available from October 1 for infants and children and from early 2019 for students in years 10 and 11 as well as young people aged between 17 and 20.

SA Health chief medical officer Paddy Phillips said with 372 cases and 14 deaths since 2000, the program was designed to target those most at risk.

"We know that meningococcal B disease occurs more frequently in infants and children up to four years of age and young adults aged between 15 to 20 years of age," Professor Phillips said.

"This program would prevent about 12 cases of meningococcal B disease each year and prevent one death every two years, as well as reduce the amount of disability experienced by those who survive the disease."

The vaccination program was proposed by the previous Labor government ahead of the March election.

Ms Nixon, who vaccinated Riley after the disease struck, encouraged all parents to take up the offer and immunise their children as soon as possible.

4. Melbourne driver bashed after 'fake policeman' pulled him over.

Police Car
Image: Getty

A driver bashed after stopping his car for a man pretending to be a police officer in Melbourne's north says he only realised something was wrong when the gloved man approached.

The 25-year-old suffered cuts and bruises after stopping his ute on Wood Street in Preston about noon on June 9 for a dark-coloured Commodore sedan with imitation police lights flashing on its dashboard.

The impersonator approached the ute and demanded cash before yanking the victim out of his seat and punching and kicking him as two other men joined the attack.

"When I realised he was wearing gloves, black gloves, and how he approached me, he started yelling, that's when I realised there was something going on," the victim told reporters on Wednesday.

"You feel scared, you don't know what to do and it happened to me. It meant to happen. I was in the wrong place."

Police on Wednesday released a computer-generated image of the main suspect, who is described as Caucasian, in his mid-30s, muscular and with spiky blond hair and a right eyebrow piercing.

5. Geoffrey Rush attends mediation session in his defamation case against Daily Telegraph.

Image: Getty

The virtually housebound actor Geoffrey Rush has ventured into Sydney's Federal Court to attend mediation related to his defamation case against the Daily Telegraph.

The actor was snapped entering and leaving the court on Wednesday, as was journalist Jonathon Moran.

The 66-year-old Oscar winner is suing the tabloid's publisher Nationwide News and Moran for defamation over articles alleging he behaved inappropriately towards a female colleague during a Sydney Theatre Company production of King Lear in 2015.

Rush has rejected the allegations.

The Telegraph denies the articles made Rush out to be a pervert and a predator, arguing no allegations of a sexual nature were made.

In an affidavit tendered in the court in April, Rush's solicitor Nicholas Pullen said the actor was virtually housebound, barely eats and wakes each morning with a "terrible sense of dread" since the publication.

When Rush does venture out in public he feels anxious as he believes people are staring at him in a challenging, frightening and unnerving way, the affidavit says.

In April, Justice Michael Wigney listed the defamation hearing for September 3.

He also referred the case to mediation before a registrar of the court, ordering it to occur before July 31.

6. Paint and varnish fumes linked to increased risk of multiple sclerosis, study shows.

Inhaling paint and varnish fumes may increase the risk of multiple sclerosis, Swedish research shows.

On their own, the solvents raised the likelihood of developing MS by 50 per cent when compared with no exposure.

Adding MS susceptibility genes to the equation led to an almost seven-fold increase in risk, a study found.

And a triple whammy of smoking, genetic risk factors and solvent exposure caused the relative risk to soar 30 times over.

Lead researcher Dr Anna Hedstrom, from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, said: "These are significant interactions where the factors have a much greater effect in combination than they do on their own.

"More research is needed to understand how these factors interact to create this risk. It's possible that exposure to solvents and smoking may both involve lung inflammation and irritation that leads to an immune reaction in the lungs."

For the study, the researchers identified 2042 Swedes who had recently been diagnosed with MS and matched them with almost 3000 members of the general population.

Participants underwent blood tests and were asked whether they had ever smoked or been exposed to organic solvents, painting products or varnish.

MS genes and solvent exposure combined were responsible for an estimated 60 per cent of the overall risk of developing multiple sclerosis.

The findings are reported in the journal Neurology.

JOIN THE CONVERSATION
FROM OUR NETWORK