In an interview with Sydney Confidential on Friday, Preston said he had a “no d**kheads” policy for the Masterchef‘s upcoming season.
“You can get drama by picking d**kheads but over the years we have picked less and less d**kheads,” he said.
He went on to add he would much prefer working with “terrible TV talent” who can actually cook over those who are no more than “show ponies with 100,000 followers”.
Love reality TV? We debrief on a Bach in Paradise finale that had us feeling far more than we expected to.
“We have to spend seven months with these people,” he said, noting they wanted to avoid finding “stereotypical TV talent”.
Preston’s comments are curious for the fact Masterchef’s biggest rival, My Kitchen Rules, was dogged by drama this series, much to the delight of producers who sold the series as the most dramatic yet.
Contestants Sonya and Hadil were booted off the show last month after finding themselves at the centre of more than one verbal stoush with fellow contestants Jess and Emma. The show also had a (rather non-existent) ‘cheating scandal‘, and saw another contestant, Suong, rushed to hospital via an ambulance after experiencing severe stomach cramps while filming,
The 10th season of MasterChef Australia will premiere on Monday, May 7, at 7:30pm on Network Ten.
Gary Mehigan, Matt Preston and George Calombaris will return as judges and they will be joined by international guest judges including Maggie Beer, Nigella Lawson, Gordon Ramsay, Curtis Stone and Adriano Zumbo.
It’s reported even Prince Charles will make an appearance in the series.