ATT: Writers of Australia.
Do you have a story to tell? A strong opinion to share? From pop culture to politics, body image to motherhood, dating to divorce and feminism to fashion, we want to know what YOU think.
That’s why the Mamamia Women’s Network are launching the first ever MWN Writers’ Competition – to unearth the best online writing talent in the country.
MWN, together with HarperCollins Publishers is offering winners across several categories $1000 prize money, as well as an opportunity to have an ongoing publishing relationship with MWN, Australia’s premier women’s media company.
The winners of the MWN Writers’ Competition will be published across our ever-expanding suite of mastheads, which currently include Mamamia, The Motherish, The Glow, and Debrief Daily — sites that are read by 1.5million women a month.
We are looking for authentic voices. Voices from offices and homes, from students and retirees, from experienced bloggers to complete novices, from the nation’s capitals and from far-flung corners of the country. If you can write and you have something to say, we want to hear from you.
WHAT YOU CAN WIN:
The top entries will be shortlisted by Mamamia’s senior editorial team and you will be contacted to show off more of your talents.
Shortlisted applicants will then be judged by some of Australia’s most acclaimed writers and editors, in conjunction with HarperCollins Publishers, one of the country’s most respected book publishers.
The winner in each category will receive:
- $1000 prize money (ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS PRIZE MONEY).
- A selection of HarperCollins books to the value of $150 (that is A LOT of great books).
- The opportunity to be mentored by members of MWN’s senior editorial team and published and promoted across the network.
- Winners will be introduced on MWN’s million-strong social network and have the opportunity to build your own social media profile.
- A meeting with one of Australia’s best book publishers, HarperCollins.
HOW IT WORKS:
There are six categories to enter and you can enter ALL of them if you want, just make sure you adhere to all guidelines. Unfortunately, if your post doesn’t fit the brief it won’t be considered.
We are looking for pieces of original writing that fall into one of these six categories.
1. Memoir – This category is for first-person, reflective essays. Maximum length: 1200 words.
2. Attitude – For funny, clever, ridiculous reflections and observations about life. Maximum length: 800 words.
3. Culture – A thought-provoking helicopter look at movies, recaps of your favourite TV shows or interesting perspectives on our obsession with celebrity culture. Maximum word length: 800 words.
4. Opinion – Thoughtful, considered, powerful pieces on current issues, backed up by facts. Maximum word length: 800 words.
5. Family – Funny and/or thoughtful reflections on parenting, home/domestic life, relationships and friendships. Maximum word length: 1000 words.
6. Lifestuff – For all things health, wellness, travel, self-improvement, what we eat and how we live. Maximum word length: 800 words.
All submissions will be considered by MWN’s senior editorial team, before being selected for a shortlist across the categories to be considered by an expert panel.