Parents share teen’s final text before she died from using her phone in the bath.

Video via Channel 7 News

In a bid to raise awareness, police have released the final photo ever taken by a 14-year-old girl who died after using her mobile phone in the bathtub last week.

Texas teen Madison Coe was taking a bath at her father’s home when she took a photo of her phone charger and an extension cord lying on top of bath towels.

“When you use and [sic] extension cord so you can plug in your phone while you’re in the bath,” she wrote.

mobile phone in the bath
Madison Coe. Source: Channel 7.

Minutes later, the 8th grader died from what police believe was electrocution.

“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone,” her grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, told KCBD. “That was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.”

Now, alongside the Lovington Police Department, Madison's family are hoping to raise awareness about what happened so that other accidents can be prevented.

“This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness,” O'Guinn said, adding, “We don’t want to lose anybody.”

Madison was farewelled in an intimate memorial service over the weekend, surrounded by family and friends.

Her grandmother said she was “sweet to everybody” and “loved life”.

mobile phone in the bath
Madison Coe was about to go into year 9. Source: Channel 7.

“I call her my shining star,” O'Guinn said.

“She’s just going to be greatly missed by all of us. She has a special place in my heart.”

A GoFundMe campaign with a goal of US$20,000 (AU$25,000) has been launched by friends of the Coe family to help cover memorial costs. To date, the campaign has reached just over US$12,000 (AU$15,000).

JOIN THE CONVERSATION
FROM OUR NETWORK