"She was incredible." Friends and family mourn Sydney CBD attack victim Michaela Dunn, & more in News in 5.

-With AAP.

1. “She was incredible.” Friends and family mourn Sydney CBD attack victim Michaela Dunn.

The Sydney woman who police believe was the first victim of the alleged CBD stabbing rampage has been described by a friend as “incredible”.

Michaela Dunn, 24, from Sydney’s inner west, was found with a laceration to her neck in a Clarence Street unit on Tuesday afternoon.

Mert Ney, 20, is accused of killing her before allegedly stabbing 41-year old Linda Bo at the Hotel CBD and wandering York Street with a knife. He was detained by members of the public.

Police believe Ney attended the Clarence Street apartment for “the purposes of prostitution”, where Dunn’s body was later discovered.

Her mother, Joanne Dunn, told Nine she was a “beautiful girl from a beautiful family” and “very much loved”.

She’s been described by one friend as “incredible” and a “true delight”.

“I’ve known this girl since she was just a kid in high school at 14. Her sister and I were together for 6 years, and Mikki was like my baby sister. I cannot describe how sad and how broken I am at this moment. I loved this kid. She was incredible,” Joan Westenberg said on Twitter.


The 24-year-old had a passion for travelling and last year travelled to Fiji with friends, where she donated school supplies to Fijian children.


Dunn, who was a former Rosebank College student and studied at the University of Notre Dame, also rallied against sexual violence in a Facebook post several years ago.

"Sexual violence and harassment is never acceptable. Take two minutes to read and sign this petition, it's such an important issue that needs to be addressed sooner than later," she wrote on a post in 2016.

A University of Notre Dame Australia spokesman said the community was "shocked and saddened" by the tragedy and extended its condolences to the 24-year-old's family and friends.

Australia's peak sex worker organisation and a NSW sex worker community group said in a joint statement they are "devastated" by the alleged "random and senseless acts of violence".

"Michaela Dunn was a woman, a community member, and a whole individual who will be missed and mourned," Scarlet Alliance, Australian Sex Workers Association and the NSW Sex Workers Outreach Project said in a statement.

"We offer the victim's family our deepest and most sincere condolences at this time. Our collective hearts are heavy."

Australian Muslim leader Mohamad Tawhidi also expressed his condolences.

"The nation is shocked and heartbroken. This could have happened to any one. RIP," Imam Tawhidi said on Facebook.

Homicide detectives are expecting to charge Ney with murder and serious assault.

Ney remains under police guard at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and is yet to be interviewed by police about the incident that brought the city's streets to a standstill.

Anyone needing support is urged to contact beyondblue (1800 22 4636) or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

2. Jeffrey Epstein accuser sues his estate.


A New York woman who says she was sexually assaulted by Jeffrey Epstein at the age of 14 has sued the disgraced financier's estate and a former associate, as prison officials began an internal review of how Epstein died.

In the first of an expected wave of lawsuits, Jennifer Araoz, 32, said she had just entered high school in 2001 when an Epstein associate brought her to the financier's mansion on Manhattan's Upper East Side.

It was the beginning of a grooming process that led to months of sexual abuse including a "brutal rape".

The lawsuit in New York County Supreme Court is among the first of a series by women made possible by the state's Child Victims Act, which opened a one-year window to sue over alleged sexual abuse regardless of how long ago it occurred.

Epstein, who once counted US President Donald Trump and former president Bill Clinton as friends, was found unresponsive in his cell on Saturday morning at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in lower Manhattan.

The well-connected money manager apparently took his own life.

Psychologists on Tuesday began studying how the suicide occurred, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Another team at the MCC on Wednesday began an "after action" review, which is normally triggered by significant events such as the death of a high-profile inmate, the person familiar with the matter said.

The reviews are separate from investigations by the FBI and US Department of Justice's inspector general.

Epstein was arrested on July 6 and pleaded not guilty to charges of sex trafficking involving dozens of underage girls between 2002 and 2005.

Prosecutors said he recruited girls to give him massages, which became sexual in nature.

Araoz's lawsuit says former Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell facilitated Epstein's abuse of several girls by overseeing their recruitment and "ensuring that approximately three girls a day were made available to him for his sexual pleasure".

The other three unnamed defendants in Araoz's lawsuit - all women who allegedly worked for Epstein in New York - are a maid, a secretary, and a "recruiter" who helped procure underage girls for him.


Araoz told reporters on a conference call she was angry that Epstein's death meant he would never face her in court.

"Today is my first step toward reclaiming my power Jeffrey Epstein and his enablers stole from me," she said.

"They robbed me of my youth, my identity, my innocence and my self worth."

The complaint described Epstein's massage room as having a ceiling painted as a blue sky with clouds and angels, "to give the appearance that you were in heaven".

It also detailed a variety of alleged misconduct by Epstein, including what she called an insinuation that she owed him because of the money he paid her.

"I take care of you, you take care of me," the complaint quoted Epstein as saying.

3. "There is no place for racism." NRL star Latrell Mitchell speaks out against racist trolls.

Latrell Mitchell has spoken out against racist trolls as the NRL warned any fan who vilified a player online faced bans from attending matches.

Mitchell broke his silence on the matter on Wednesday night, days after publishing vile comments made against him on social media.

The star Roosters centre said he had also previously been a victim of racism, and that he would continue to out any person who abused him in such a way.


"For everything that's been going on the past couple of days has been so hard for my family and I," Mitchell posted on Instagram.

"But it wouldn't be the first time that this has happened. I would really love to take the time to thank everyone that sent me a message.

"There is no place for racism. It is 2019 I am a proud aboriginal man and I will continue to name and shame anyone that has an opinion against me or my race.

"I have had enough, we cannot keep allowing this 'casualness' to happen.

"Wake up Australia and stop being ignorant and just embrace everyone for who they are!"

Mitchell's comments come as the NRL continues to investigate the initial post made against the star Sydney Roosters centre on Facebook on Sunday.

It also emerged on Wednesday that Blake Ferguson was also racially vilified earlier this season, with the NSW winger alerting Parramatta to the offensive messages.

Club bosses on Wednesday discussed the issue at the NRL's CEOs meeting, and backed a stance to ban any person who racially abuses a player online from games.

"We've got an opportunity as a sport, to stand up and stand for something," NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said.

"And when we see it, we'll call it out.

"If we can find ways to make sure they're unwelcome in the game, whether that's a membership, simply buying a ticket, we'll do that.

"It's not easy (to find them). But we'll put some resources into it where we can.

"We've got a pretty sophisticated system in our integrity unit. We've got some smart people, and if we find them, we'll do something about it."

The NRL has previously banned fans who have racially abused players at grounds, most recently last season at Penrith after a slur made against Greg Inglis.

Greenberg also rejected suggestions players should simply avoid social media as a means to escape such online abuse.

"I've heard people say in recent days that the simple thing to tell our players is simply stay off social media. That's not the answer," Greenberg said.

"Social media is a part of the next generation, whether we like it or not. And some of that's very difficult for some young athletes to deal with.


"We're not going to stand by and allow our athletes to be racially vilified."

4. Court told of white sedan driving "crazily" at William Tyrrell inquest.

Two former friends have told conflicting stories to the William Tyrrell inquest about whether a driver was seen pushing something down into a car footwell the day the three-year-old went missing.

William vanished while playing at his foster grandmother's home in Kendall on the NSW mid north coast on September 12, 2014.

Kendall man Tim Palmer told the boy's coronial inquest on Wednesday he'd had a conversation with friend Michael McInally in 2018 in which Mr McInally said he needed to get something off his chest.

He said on the day William Tyrrell went missing he saw a white sedan driving "crazily" down Batar Creek Road and the driver using his left hand to push something into the passenger side footwell, Mr Palmer said.

"He said if I was to tell anyone this story, he would deny it," Mr Palmer told the NSW Coroners Court.

Mr McInally then addressed the inquest and disputed several elements of Mr Palmer's story.

He said in fact, he'd been driving down Combyne Street when he saw a person holding their left hand up as if to get better phone reception.

Asked by the coroner why he would tell a story in 2018 about how he saw someone in 2014 trying to get phone reception, Mr McInally said: "I don't know."


"I was in a drunken state," he said.

"I don't remember half of the conversation."

But Mr Palmer's version was wrong, he said.

Mr McInally said he remembered the car as he'd never seen it in the area before.

Mr Palmer said he believed his decision to tell police about the 2018 conversation led to the long-time friends falling out.

The inquest resumes on Thursday, in closed court.

Listen to The Quicky debrief on the truth about William Tyrrell's parents, and what happened after the three-year-old's disappearance.

5. AFL great Graham 'Polly' Farmer dies aged 84.

Champion Australian Rules footballer "Polly" Farmer was once asked if his nickname had earned him undue attention when he started playing in Perth in the 1950s.

"It could have been worse, they could have found out my middle name," Farmer said.

But Graham Vivian "Polly" Farmer didn't need to explain himself to anyone.

Farmer, who died aged 84, was a sportsmen with few equals, a revolutionary player and an inspiration to generations of indigenous footballers.

Born in Fremantle and orphaned before he turned two, Farmer was brought up in a Perth orphanage run by the protestant nun Sister Kate where he received the name "Polly", supposedly because he talked a lot.


Farmer's introduction to football was at Sister Kate's, where he remained until he was 14, and was developed later when he moved to Greenbushes in south-western WA and acquired a shoe, just the left one, and learned to kick.

In 1953, at the age of 18, he played the first of 176 games for East Perth and in 1956 he won the first of three Sandover Medals awarded to the fairest-and-best player in the West Australian Football League (WAFL).

Farmer originally signed with Richmond in the VFL in 1955, but never played for the Tigers, only making the move east in 1962 to play for Geelong and earn himself an exalted football reputation.

Farmer played 101 games for Geelong, captaining the club from 1965-67, winning a premiership medal in 1963 and establishing himself as the finest ruckman to have played the game.

It was also at Geelong that, along with his incomparable rucking ability, Farmer developed handballing skills that revolutionised football, turning what had previously been considered a defensive, last-resort play into a potent attacking weapon.

In 1968 Farmer returned to WA, joining West Perth, adding another 79 games to bring up a senior career total of 356.

Farmer also coached West Perth and returned to Victoria in 1973 to coach Geelong for three seasons.

For those who didn't see Farmer play, the awards and the recognition he received offer a graphic testimony to his talents.

Farmer was named fairest and best in 10 of his 19 seasons of football, earning the accolade at each of the three clubs at which he played.

As well as his three Sandover Medals, he was runner-up for the Brownlow Medal when playing at Geelong and was three times named in the All-Australian team.

In the position he played almost his entire career, Farmer went up against some of the best ruckmen the game has known, and none of them earned more plaudits than him.

Farmer was named as first ruck in the AFL Team of the Century, the WAFL Team of the Century, the Teams of the Century for East Perth, Geelong and West Perth and in the Indigenous Team of the Century.

He was the first (AFL/VFL) player to receive an imperial honour, becoming a Member of the British Empire (MBE) in 1971, and he was named among the original Legends to be inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame.


And he did it all under the cruel pressure of racial vilification.

Farmer, a Nyoongah man, acknowledged he was the victim of vile abuse on the football field, but he never responded, at least not with words.

"There would always be the chance to run through a bloke, knock him down. It worked better than words," he said.

"I was on another planet when I ran out there, another wavelength.

"No matter what people would say, they were never going to put me off."

Sydney Swans player Michael O'Loughlin described Farmer as a visionary whose legacy is more lasting than a name in a notional team.

"You go back to the Polly Farmers of this world and see how much they copped, but they kept soldiering on," O'Loughlin once told an interviewer.

"They knew the bigger picture and that their people were depending on them. They paved the way for the rest of us who came after them."

His commitment to his people led to the establishment of the Graham "Polly" Farmer Foundation, an educational program for Aboriginal youth that operates around Australia.

His daughter Kim says the Foundation typified her father's attitude to his life.

"Dad considered himself lucky to be welcomed and accepted into football at a time when the Australian government was controlling every aspect of Aboriginal life," she said.

"He wanted other Aboriginal kids to have the opportunities that he had.

"Growing up with someone so remarkable and someone extremely humble, you took his greatness for granted. He really was ahead of his time."

Another aspect of Farmer's approach to football was revealed by fellow Geelong player Bill Goggin.

"Polly had no time for players who weren't honest in their approach or weren't prepared to work hard to improve," Goggin said.

"He just refused to train with them until they tried harder. He demanded perfection.

"Mistakes weren't part of his thinking."

Farmer had suffered from dementia for many years prior to his death.

His wife of 58 years, Marlene, with whom he had Kim and sons Brett and Dean, died in 2015.

00:00 / ???