news

Thursday's news in 5 minutes.

1. Marcus Stanford says he’s “sorry” for his role in covering up the murder of Stephanie Scott.

The twin brother of Vincent Stanford has told Nine News he is “sorry” for his involvement in the murder of Stephanie Scott.

It is the first time Stanford has spoken since he was released from jail.

“I would like to say sorry for what I’ve done, and for the hurt I’ve caused the family,” Stanford said.

The 25-year-old brother of Vincent Stanford is living in a caravan on the Yorke Peninsula in South Australia with his father.

“It’s over now and I hope I won’t cause anymore trouble. I’m incredibly sorry, I did a really stupid thing and unfortunately I can’t take it back,” he said.

Stanford was charged with accessory to murder after the fact and arrested in June, 2015.

He had received the stolen jewellery of Stephanie Scott and sold it for $705.

He was sentenced to one year and three months in prison in August, but with time served he was released on September 9 from Junee Correctional Centre.

2. Police believe Tiahleigh Palmer never made it to school.

Police believe that Tiahleigh Palmer never made it to school and was allegedly smothered by her foster father the night before.

Foster father Rick Thorburn had told detectives he’d last seen the 12-year-old on the morning of October 30 last year walking towards her school.

Other students claimed they had seen Tiahleigh at McDonalds yet police now allege Tiahleigh never made it to school and was killed the night before, The Courier Mail report.

Detectives allege Rick Thorburn, 56, who is in an induced coma after taking an unknown substance, murdered Tiahleigh after discovering that his 19-year-old son had an incestuous relationship with her.

Trent Thorburn, 19, has been charged with incest, perjury and perverting the course of justice and was yesterday refused bail.

Meanwhile The Brisbane Times reports the foster parents of murdered Logan schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer were allowed to operate a family day care business until April.

Tiahleigh spent 10 months living in the Thorburn household.

3. Bomb threat sent to LGBTI radio station.

A Melbourne community radio station has received a bomb threat. Joy, a LGBTI radio station have detailed how the threat was emailed to them about 7pm on Tuesday night.

Police cleared the building, but the station stayed on air.

ADVERTISEMENT

Joy said in a statement they “strongly condemn” the threat. The station vowed to continue to “provide a voice”, “break down isolation”, and “celebrate the achievements of our diverse lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) communities.”

“This threat highlights the damage that can be done through a divisive public debate about our community’s aspiration to be equal members of society.”

“Our communities have faced many threats over the years, and this latest one will not silence one of the only LGBTI radio stations in the world.”

The station’s chief executive officer Tennille Moisel said on air that it was important the community support each other.

“This is the biggest debate that we’ve seen in the public space and (it’s) potentially going to drive the biggest adverse reaction to our community,” she said.

“It’s important for our community to support each other.”

4. Shock poll leaves Muslim Australians distressed.

A poll conducted in late July and then again in early August has found that 49 per cent of Australians support a ban on Muslim immigration.

The most common reasons for wanting a ban were fears over terrorism and a belief that Muslim migrants do not integrate into society nor share Australian values.

The poll was first conducted in early August and then repeated to ensure it was not a rogue.

Muslim Australians have expressed their shock at the figures with Mariam Veiszadeh saying it left her feeling “sick.”

“Every 2nd person sitting on the bus I was on this morning would ban people like me from coming here,” Ms Veiszadeh tweeted.

Husnia Underabi, a Western Sydney University researcher told Fairfax Media said she was not surprised by the poll.

“We know that Islamophobia is on the rise,” Ms Underabi said.

5. JonBenet Ramsey family lawyer vows to sue CBS.

The lawyer for the family of JonBenet Ramsey has said they will sue CBS over the recent documentary that suggested the little girl was killed by her brother.

L. Lin Wood told Reuters the program was filled with lies.

“I will be filing a lawsuit on behalf of Burke Ramsey,” Wood told Reuters in a telephone interview.

“CBS’ false and unprofessional attacks on this young man are disgusting and revolting.”

ADVERTISEMENT

6. CCTV shows 20 people walked by while woman was stabbed in broad daylight and no one did a thing.

A shocking CCTV video has shown a brutal attack on a woman in India, in broad daylight – ignored by more than 20 passerbys who witnessed the attack and kept walking.

The attack, on Tuesday in the streets of Burari, in North Delhi, began with a man dragging a woman along the sidewalk before throwing her to the pavement and stabbing her with scissors and kicking her.

Of the passersby some ignored it completely, others glanced over and kept walking, two stopped by then went on.

According to The Indian Express the alleged attacker Surender Singh, 34, fled but was later apprehended.

The 21-year-old woman was taken to hospital but died.

Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said the incident showed how Indian society was blasé towards violence against women.

“I have seen the video and people are standing as mute spectators. One or two people tried to come forward but no one helped finally.”

7. Muck Up Days cancelled as 13-year-old’s leg broken during prank.

Schools across NSW have cancelled Muck Up Day, with some even warning students they will have to sit their exams elsewhere if they take part in muck-up day celebrations.

A Year 12 student from Casino High School told The Daily Telegraph they were warned not to participate in Muck Up Day activities or there would be consequences.

“My school and a number of others have threatened a barring from the formal, withheld HSC marks, banning from whole school end of year excursions, suspensions and in extreme cases expulsion,” he said.

“Although our teachers have valid arguments for attempting to prevent muck-up days … such as breaking school rules … we students are so disappointed.”

Meanwhile police are hunting for a group of year 12 students who broke a year seven student’s leg in a muck-up day prank gone wrong.

Police on Sydney’s Northern beaches are looking for a group of Year 12 boys who allegedly chased and attacked students from St Luke’s Catholic College, Dee Why, as they got off a school bus on Tuesday afternoon.

A 13-year-old was injured and has been hospitalised with a broken leg.

Do you have a story to share with Mamamia? Email us [email protected]

FROM OUR NETWORK
00:00 / ???