A 40-year-old man has been arrested and charged over making threats online targeting Sydney’s New Year’s Eve festivities.
Officers from the NSW Police Force Terrorism Investigation Squad arrested the man at Sydney’s international airport on Thursday after receiving a tip-off from the public.
The man arrived in the country on a plane from London and was taken to Mascot Police Station following his arrest.
He allegedly made online threats on a blog towards New Year’s Eve activities.
A search warrant was executed at a home in Chippendale as well as a storage facility, where items including documents and hard drives were seized.
The man has been refused bail and will appear in Parramatta Local Court today.
In a statement, Deputy Police Commissioner Catherine Burn said initial investigations suggested it was an isolated incident.
“We are confident that there are no current or specific threats to New Year’s Eve, and while we ask people to remain vigilant, people should enjoy the celebrations,” she said.
“The community should be also reassured that we will take swift action to ensure the ongoing safety of the public.”
City of Sydney councillor Jess Scully said there will be a strong police presence during the evening.
“I think it’s always really difficult these days when you have large public gatherings and security is something that is top of mind,” she said.
“I know it’s something that we’re working really closely with the New South Wales Police.”
Last week, Victorian police foiled an alleged terrorist plot to detonate explosive devices around Melbourne, possibly on Christmas Day.
© 2016 Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. Read the ABC Disclaimer here.