There are heightened fears for a young Brisbane woman who may be a fifth Australian injured in the weekend’s London terror attacks.
Family and friends of Sara Zelenak have taken to social media to appeal for information about the missing 21-year-old who hasn’t been heard from since witnessing the London Bridge attack on Saturday night.
Her family had hoped Ms Zelenak may have been one of two unnamed Australians caught up in the dramas but Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull on Monday afternoon said the government had been in touch with those families.
A Facebook post written by a friend, and shared numerous times, says Ms Zelenak was last seen on London Bridge and witnessed the attacks before getting separated from her friends.
“Her phone has rang with no reply and now the battery must have gone,” read the original post, which has since been deleted.
“She is Australian aged 21 with long blonde hair. She calls her mum daily. It’s been over 24 hours with no news from the consulate. We was hoping the 3rd Australian reported would be her, but it’s not.
“She is based in London. Please share with as many people as possible especially if you have friends down south. Thank you for your help.”
The frantic appeal came as the Queensland families of two other Australians – Brisbane’s Candice Hedge and Darwin electrician Andrew Morrison – breathed major sighs of relief after they were stabbed.
Ms Hedge, 34, working as a waitress in the Borough Markets area, underwent emergency surgery but is expected to make a full recovery after her attackers missed her windpipe or arteries.
“She can’t think how she got so lucky because she thought she was going to die,” Ms Hedge’s grandfather Brian, who lives in Queensland’s Darling Downs, told AAP.