Tuesday’s news in 5 minutes.

Video via Channel 9

Warning: This article contains information about violence and child abuse which may be distressing for some readers.

1. Teen girl killed seven-year-old Katie Rough to “test if she was a robot”, court hears.

On January 9 this year, seven-year-old Katie Rough was seen playing in a field near her York home with an older, teen girl. Fifteen minutes later, Katie had been brutally murdered.

A 16-year-old girl – who cannot be named for legal reasons – has appeared in a UK court this week in relation to the little girl’s death.

She was just 15 at the time of Katie’s death, and was charged in the days following the horrific crime.

Advertisement

The teen pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility – the court heard she had a history of depression, delusion beliefs and self-harm – but denied murdering Katie, The Sun reports.

Leeds Crown Court heard she was suffering from a schizo-personality disorder at the time Katie was attacked.

FROM OUR NETWORK

Prosecutor Graham Reeds, QC, said the teen “thought that Katie was not human and was a robot” and killed her to “test” if she was a human.

Katie was allegedly found with a six centimetre wound to her neck and a 20 centimetre cut on her torso. A post mortem concluded she had died from asphyxiation before she was brutally cut by the teen.

The court told the accused had a stuffed toy in her bedroom, which had had its ears ripped off and chest sliced open with a Stanley knife.

The court heard the teenager had been having “bad thoughts” for months.

“[She thought] people around her might not be human and may be under the power of a higher and hostile force,” Prosecutor Reeds said.

Sentencing has been postponed until July 20, pending further psychiatric evaluation of the teenager.

2. A toddler has died after being hit by a car in the driveway of his own home.

An 18-month-old boy has died after he was struck by a car in the driveway of a Brassall, Ipswich home late yesterday afternoon, The Courier-Mail reports.

Emergency services were called, but the boy died at the scene.

A crime scene was quickly established, however it’s believed the little boy’s death was a tragic accident.

A family member is said to have been behind the wheel of the car at the time of the accident.

A police spokesman said officers from the Major Crash Unit attended, as well as scenes of crime officers and a Child Protection Investigation Unit detective.

A report is being prepared for the Coroner.

3. Mystery behind the death of a “well-dressed” man found in a Melbourne park.

A man dressed in a designer suit and expensive shoes has been found dead at the end of a blood trail in a Melbourne park.

His body was found near the Dunstan Reserve sports pavilion in Brunswick West by a resident on Monday morning and police are treating the death as a homicide, AAP reports.

The victim, aged in his mid-30s to mid-50s, was found wearing an Ermenegildo Zegna suit and expensive shoes.

Detective Senior Sergeant Stephen McIntyre said the man was thought to have been assaulted in the car park, possibly with a knife, sometime between 4pm on Sunday and Monday morning.

“We have a blood trail that leads from the car park to where the body has been located,” Det Sen Sgt McIntyre said.

“The dress itself is quite unusual. It’s a quite expensive Zegna suit being worn over the top of a dark blue-coloured T-shirt.”

It was not clear whether the man was dragged into the park or made it there under his own steam from the car park, Det Sen Sgt McIntyre said.

The victim, of southern European appearance, has not been formally identified. His body was removed from the park, which remained cordoned off, on Monday afternoon ahead of a post-mortem.

Det Sen Sgt McIntyre said the sports pavilion was broken into on Sunday night but could not say whether this was connected to the homicide.
A window was kicked in but nothing appeared to have been stolen.

Brunswick City Soccer Club, which is based in the reserve, had games at the ground until 5pm on Sunday.

The club has cancelled its training for Monday night.

4. Manhunt for gunman after a 22-year-old father of two was killed in a daylight drive-by shooting.

A young man has been killed and another wounded in a daylight drive-by shooting on the NSW Central Coast, with police hunting the gunman.

Investigators say two groups of people in separate vehicles became involved in an altercation on Byron Street in Wyong before one group opened fire on the other about 12.30pm on Monday, AAP reports.

Jesse Thompson, 22, was shot, reportedly in the chest, and died at the scene, while a 28-year-old man in the same car was grazed along his hand and arm.

Police are searching for a white vehicle believed to have been involved in the attack.

Friends say Mr Thompson was a father of two and will be sorely missed in the community.

5. Struggling families can now hire a ‘nonna’ to help look after their kids.

A Melbourne mum-of-three and her husband have launched a service to helping struggling, busy families help care for their children, 9 News reports.

Shelley and Simon Roberts have launched a ‘nonna for hire’ service, inspired by their very own needs when Shelley made the transition from going back to work after having babies.

“I found the whole transition tricky…not having dinner ready, everyone getting grumpy,” she told 9 News.

“We were having a wine one night after putting the kids in bed and said it would be good to have a nonna here.

“Lasagne in the oven, kids are bathed, everybody’s calm and we just walk in and have some quality time with them.”

Their newly launched service allows busy Melbourne parents to employ mature women – who have already raised their own families – to help ‘lighten the load’.

The nonnas are usually aged in their 50s and 60s and are available to collect children from school, help with homework and start dinner.

Shelley added that while ‘nonna’ is an Italian term for grandmother, those for hire on her site come from a variety of different backgrounds.

All nonnas are trained and insured and start from $35 per hour.

6. Police confirm 18 people have died after a bus carrying senior citizens crashed in Germany.

A bus carrying German senior citizens on holiday has crashed into a truck on a highway in Bavaria and burst into flames, killing 18 people and injuring 30 others, some seriously, officials said.

The accident took place when the bus rear-ended a trailer-truck at the end of a traffic jam on the A9 highway near Muenchberg, not far from the Czech border. The accident led to long traffic jams on the A9, the main thoroughfare from Berlin to Munich, AAP reports.

It was not immediately clear what caused the initial traffic jam, but the bus seemed to have caught fire immediately, Transport Minister Alexander Dobrindt told reporters after touring the crash site.

“Two people are still in life-threatening condition,” he said.

The remains of 11 bodies were recovered from the bus, and forensic experts were still poring through the charred wreckage to try and identify and remove other remains, he said.

Two drivers and 46 passengers were on the bus, police spokeswoman Irene Brandenstein said, adding it was not known if the driver at the time was dead or alive.

Some 200 emergency crews were at the scene and five helicopters whisked the injured to nearby hospitals. Simple wooden coffins were wheeled in for the remains recovered from the blackened, twisted wreckage of the bus.

Police said the ages of those on the bus ranged from 41 to 81 and they were primarily from the eastern German state of Saxony.

Dobrindt said that when firefighters first arrived the bus fire was so hot that they couldn’t get anywhere close to the burning vehicle to rescue those stuck inside. He also said recovery work was difficult because the bus was so badly damaged.

“All they could do was extinguish the fire,” he said. “The heat was so strong that nothing that’s inflammable is left from the bus – only the steel frame.”

Do you have a story to share with Mamamia? Email us [email protected]

JOIN THE CONVERSATION