Actor James Van Der Beek has spoken about his own experiences being sexually harassed by “older, powerful men” as a young actor.
The 40-year-old’s admission comes as more than 20 actresses condemned Hollywood executive Harvey Weinstein – who faces several allegations of sexual harassment, assault and coercion.
Listen: Mia, Jessie and Rachel discuss Harvey Weinstein on Mamamia Out Loud. (Post continues…)
As a sign of solidarity, the former Dawson’s Creek star sent out a series of tweets on Thursday, in which he revealed that he had been “grabbed” and cornered in “inappropriate sexual conversations”.
Van Der Beek is not the only male actor to claim he has been the victim of sexual misconduct this week.
Brooklyn 99 star Terry Crews, also on Twitter, told followers he had been triggered by the Harvey Weinstein scandal, sharing that he had been groped by a Hollywood executive while at a function in 2016.
Crews went on to say that his wife had witnessed the assault and he was about to “kick his ass” but then he considered how a fight may have been twisted in reporting.
The former NRL player also suggested that he may have even ended up in jail charged with assault. So instead, he told everyone who worked with the executive what had happened.
“He called me the next day with an apology but never really explained why he did what he did,” Crews said.
“I decided not to take it further because I didn’t want to be ostracised— par for the course when the predator has power and influence.
“I let it go. And I understand why many women who this happens to let it go.”