1. “I thought I was dying.” Miraculous recovery of 14-yo following potentially-lethal jellyfish sting.
WATCH: Hannah talk to Nine News about her brush with death.
She thought she was going to die and now, two weeks on from the potentially lethal sting, she’s finally out of hospital and recovering well.
“It was more than pain, it was enough to think I was dying,” Hannah told Nine News.
“I could feel my lungs and my heart, everything inside me was like crumbling, it felt like it was crumbling.”
Staff at Perth’s Princess Margaret Hospital, where Hannah was flown by the Royal Flying Doctor after being stung, saved the 14-year-old’s life.
“In all honesty we probably should have put her in an induced coma 24 hours before we did and so there’s conversations that need to happen around what to do next time and make sure we are not in this position again with other families,” Hannah’s mum, Casey, said.
“I heard her say in the hospital, ‘Mum, can you just let me die? I can’t take it anymore’. Not being able to make it better as a parent has been the hardest thing.”
Irukandji jellyfish are a species of box jellyfish. They are the smallest (only about a cubic centimetre in size) and yet still one of the most venomous jellyfish in the world.
According to the Barrier Reef Australia website, the sting is usually mild but the symptoms – referred to as Irukandji Syndrome – can be life-threatening.
They take around half-an-hour to develop, and include “lower backache or a headache, overall body pain, muscular cramps or shooting pains in the victim’s muscles, chest and abdomen, nausea, vomiting, breathing difficulties”.
Irukandji are most common in tropical Australian waters between November to May, if you are stung it’s best to douse the area in vinegar (if that’s not available, use sea water) and call emergency services immediately.