The not very romantic reason that Karl and Jasmine are (probably) already married.

Karl Stefanovic and Jasmine Yarbrough are busy preparing for what we’re sure will be a beautifully lavish wedding at a five-star resort in Mexico this weekend. There, in front of family and friends, they’ll say “I do” and become husband and wife.

Except, legally they (most likely) already are.

According to a source who spoke to the Daily Mail, the couple has signed a marriage license in front of a Justice of the Peace, making them legally wed. And the reason why is well, not very romantic.

While it might seem like an odd thing to do when you’re reportedly planning such a fancy-schmancy shindig overseas, getting actually married ahead of time in Australia is the most convenient way you can legally do it.

Things people never say at weddings…

You see, when a couple chooses to hold their wedding overseas, they can be considered married in the country they wed if they fill out all the appropriate forms and tick all the boxes for that marriage to be registered.

In that case, when the bride and groom come home to Australia, their marriage will be recognised, but it won’t be registered here. The biggest difference of not registering back home is that legally changing your last name (if that’s what you choose to do) will just be a little bit more complicated. Still, no biggie.

BUT getting that marriage registered in the country you wed involves a lot of paperwork, and it can be harder to tick all those boxes in some countries more than others.

For instance, to get legally married in Italy, you need to obtain a sworn declaration of your single status from the Italian Embassy or Consulate, or a Certificate of No Impendent to Marriage. And once you get there, will need to make a different sworn declaration at least four working days before your wedding for about $100 in order for the marriage to be valid.

(Otherwise, as far as the Births, Deaths & Marriages Registry of their Australian state is concerned, they are just two people who had a big party.)



View this post on Instagram

Not the only one obsessed with this dress ????♥️ @j.andreatta_ #jacksamorae

A post shared by Jasmine Yarbrough (@jasyarby) on

Or, instead of the hassle, couples can just marry and register their marriage in Australia before or after they jet off – an option many go with because it’s simpler.

In order to marry in Australia, you just need to apply for a marriage certificate and sign it, along with witnesses and someone legally able to verify it, according to the Attorney General of Australia. In the fashion designer and Today show host’s case, that legal figure may have been a Justice of the Peace, but could also be a celebrant, religious figure or anyone else with the appropriate qualifications.

It’s not as breezy as waltzing into to a police station the day before you fly off for your Balinese/Tahitian/European nuptials – couples need to lodge an ‘intention to marry’ form at least one month prior. But with no language barrier, and no chance of failure due to a delayed flight or unknown public holiday, it’s the easiest way to make sure your beautiful overseas marriage is nice and legal.

Did you get married overseas? How did you go about it?