It’s been the story that many of us simply don’t want to read because well, it’s simply disgusting.
But it’s been hard to ignore hasn’t it? All those graphic images of revolting surprises lurking inside our kid’s drink bottles and sippy cups coming up in our news feeds.
After all, who breaks open the seals of their children’s sippy cups to actually look for mould?
Well, I for one will be doing it now!
It first cropped up a few weeks ago when a British man posted a rather stomach churning image of his daughter’s daughter’s ‘Sistema’ drink bottle.
Craig Beresford from the UK said that despite “cleaning the bottle and cap every day,” he couldn’t work out what was giving his seven-year-old daughter an upset stomach.
“I figured it might be the Sistema bottle. It’s the only constant item she has had contact with the whole time.”
Craig said he was “OCD about keeping things clean,” prized open the bottle’s cap with a knife.
The cap, which Craig insists was rinsed and sterilised every day, isn’t designed to break in two and took a fair amount of force to dissemble.
And when he did, well, look for yourself.
“The internal components had been hoarding bacteria,” Craig explained. “We were horrified and heartbroken that our little girl had been using the bottle in this state.”
The grime had, according to Craig, accumulated in between the two parts of the cap, which twist together to form the suction part of the bottle.
Then this week a father in Montreal, also wondering why his son was sick and decided to open the "leak-proof" top of his sippy cup.
The results? Well pretty similar.
Marie-Pier S. L'Hostie shared a photo of her friend’s child’s mouldy cup on Facebook with a warning to other parents.
“It doesn’t wash and can’t be seen unless it is broken open,” she explained in the post.
“He called the company, and the lady on the phone laughed out loud. Several mums on other groups have also discovered mould …
“Those who have these cups, please pay attention! Being washed by hand or in the dishwasher, the mould will stay there!”
The discovery has prompted parents right around the world getting out their tools and prising open their kid’s sippy cups and bottles – many with similar horrifying results.