This time last year, a photo of Erika Hurt passed out after a heroin overdose in the front seat of her car went viral. Her baby boy was asleep in the back seat.
This week, the US mum celebrated being one year sober.
On Sunday Hurt reposted the photo, taken exactly a year ago, on Facebook, saying it had been the wake-up call she needed to get clean.
“I’ve seriously debated for the past month, on whether I should repost such a painful picture displaying the absolute worst moment of my life,” the childcare worker explained.
“I’ve decided to repost the picture simply because it displays exactly what heroin addiction is. Also because I do not want to ever forget where the road of addiction has taken me.
“Little did I know that day, my life was about to change, drastically.”
The photo was taken by a police officer just before paramedics arrived and were able to revive her.
“I was so hurt and embarrassed. I had no clue that the picture had even been taken,” Hurt told NBC.
“But at the same time, it was kind of an eye-opener opener to see myself like that.”
Hurt has also shared what led to that low point in her life, beginning with an addiction to painkillers that developed when she was just 15 years old and prescribed them after contracting a staph infection, US Weekly reports.