Created by paediatric nutritionist and author of Wholesome Child, Mandy Sacher, this Nutella substitute is vegetarian, gluten, dairy and nut-free, and will have both you and the kids licking the jar clean.
Watch a step-by-step guide to making this healthy choclate spread with Mandy in the video below (recipe follows)…
- Carob powder – 1/4 cup (25g)
- Cacao powder – 1/4 cup (25g)
- Maple syrup/honey – 1/4 – 1/2 cup
- Tahini, hulled – 1/4 cup (70g)
- Coconul oil, melted – 1 tbs
- Filtered water – 1 tbs
- Place all ingredients in a medium sized bowl, and using a hand-held blender, blend until a smooth consistency is reached.
- If it is too thick add an additional tablespoon of water and keep adding until desired consistency is reached.
- Use a spread on toast or as a filling in scrolls and muffins and biscuits.
Tip: If you substitute carob powder for cacao powder you need to increase honey or maple syrup.
Visit the Wholesome Child website to learn more about Mandy Sacher. Her book “Wholesome Child: A Complete Nutrition Guide and Cookbook” is available to purchase online and through iTunes here. Connect with her on Instagram and Facebook.