News in 5: Young couple killed in collision with teacher; Jarryd Hayne's alleged injuries to victim; Renae Lawrence returns home.

-With AAP

1. Two Year 12 students killed in collision with teacher in Adelaide.

Two Year 12 students who had just celebrated the end of their schooling have tragically died after their car collided with the car of a teacher from their school.

Hayden Perkins, 17 and Mikayla Eastwood, 18, collided with a teacher from Eastern Fleurieu School where the couple had just finished Year 12.

The teacher, 31, sustained minor injuries and is receiving school support.

Police are investigating the circumstances and cause of the crash.

Tributes have poured in for the couple, who were both well-known in the community for their love of sport.

Strathalbyn Strikers Soccer Club president Nick Brook told The Advertiser the young couple had been “inseparable” for many years.

He said Mikayla was a gifted soccer player who loved the game so much she began coaching younger players last year. He also said Hayden was a regular visitor at trainings.

“Hayden never played soccer, he liked basketball, but as she was coaching he would be there helping,” Brook said.

“He was always there willing to help and be there with Mikayla.”

The Advertiser reported that Mikayla’s mother said her family were “absolutely devastated” by the accident.

In a statement, Eastern Fleurieu School principal Ian Kent offered his deepest condolences to the friends and family of the couple.

Counselling will be offered to Eastern Fleurieu School students, including those who have just finished Year 12.

Family and friends of the couple have started GoFundMe pages to help cover funeral costs.

2. Texts reveal injuries suffered by alleged victim of Jarryd Hayne’s sexual assault.


Police will allege the woman allegedly assaulted by rugby league player Jarryd Hayne told him he had hurt her hours after the attack, the Daily Telegraph reported.

The 26-year-old woman reportedly messaged Hayne on a social media app telling him how badly he had injured her. According to police, Hayne did not admit anything in his responses.

The woman later told police that Hayne had bitten her on her genitals in the attack on September 30 – NRL grand final night – at her home in the Hunter Region.

The Daily Telegraph reported prosecutors will also claim the NRL player told a taxi to wait for him outside the woman’s home on the night of the incident, before emerging 20 minutes later and leaving.

The woman said Hayne entered a bedroom in the house and undressed her. Police will allege he then bit her, causing profuse bleeding and injuries so bad she required hospitalisation.

It is understood the woman’s mother was also at the home at the time.

Hayne has been bailed on a surety of $20,000 and will report to a Sydney police station three times a week after being charged with aggravated assault. He has also handed in his passport.

He is forbidden from contacting the woman or anyone she has a domestic relationship with.

Police confirmed they began investigating after the woman took her allegations to the NRL Integrity Unity, which passed on the information to detectives.

3. Renae Lawrence’s mum: ‘nothing to say’.


The mother of Bali Nine drug smuggler Renae Lawrence says her daughter has nothing to say after the plane carrying them from Indonesia touched down in Brisbane.

Lawrence was travelling with her mother Bev Waterman and stepbrother Allan Waterman on the international flight which arrived about 5.45am AEST on Thursday.

“We don’t want to comment. We’ve got nothing to say. Please, just leave us,” Mrs Waterman told reporters soon after the group disembarked and were making their way to the customs area.

Later, as she exited the arrivals hall, Lawrence appeared teary and overwhelmed as she was pursued by journalists asking for comment before boarding a transfer bus to the domestic terminal.

She’s expected to board a domestic flight for her hometown of Newcastle later on Thursday morning.

Lawrence, 41, was released from a Bali prison on Wednesday after serving 13 years for her role in a plot to import more than 8kg of heroin to Australia from Indonesia.

She is the first member of the Bali Nine to taste freedom after serving time in three Indonesian jails.

On Wednesday afternoon, the drug smuggler remained silent and kept her head down as she jostled her way through a media pack to a waiting car after walking out the front door of Bali’s Bangli Prison.

Wearing sunglasses, Lawrence was surrounded by heavily armed police and did not respond to questions shouted at her by journalists.

A black SUV with tinted windows took her to Denpasar airport where she was escorted through a VIP entrance before boarding the flight back to Australia with her mother and stepbrother.

Lawrence was arrested at Denpasar airport in April 2005 with 2.7kgs of heroin strapped to her body as part of a bid by a group of nine to smuggle a total of eight kilograms of heroin into Australia.

The two ringleaders, Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, were executed in 2015. Tan Duc Thanh Nguyen died from cancer in May this year serving a life sentence.


The other members – Scott Rush, Michael Czugaj, Martin Stephens, Matthew Norman and Si Yi Chen – are all serving life sentences.

Lawrence’s original life sentence was reduced to 20 years on appeal and reduced again for good behaviour and other remissions.

However, the former panel beater from Newcastle is facing two outstanding police arrest warrants that have been outstanding since 2005 when she disembarks in the city later on Thursday.

One warrant relates to a high-speed chase in a stolen car.

But NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller has indicated a deal with her lawyers was more likely than her being arrested on the tarmac when she flies in.

4. Qld beach baby’s father extradited to NSW.

The father of a nine-month-old girl whose body was found on a Surfers Paradise beach has been extradited to NSW.

The 48-year-old man was taken to Tweed Heads Police Station just after 10pm on Wednesday night. He has yet to be charged over the death.

It’s alleged her father threw the naked baby in a “sacrifice” into the harbour at Tweeds Head.

The baby’s body is believed to have drifted around 30km in the current for two days before washing ashore at Surfers Paradise beach, where she was found by passers-by around 12.30am on Monday.


The father’s hearing to be extradited to NSW was delayed in Southport Magistrates Court on Wednesday because he faced other charges which had to be dealt with before the extradition could proceed.

Police sources in Queensland allege the mother admitted to knowing about the planned “sacrifice” (as it has been described to AAP) but only the father would be accused of throwing her into the water.

It’s believed the 23-year-old mother won’t face charges and that she has been released from custody and placed in the mental health system in Queensland.

5. Call for action on Aust animal extinction.

Australia must act to stop its growing animal extinction crisis, environmental campaigners say.

National laws should be overhauled and independent groups established to ensure legislation is implemented in a bid to reverse a worrying trend, the Wilderness Society says.

The call comes ahead of a Senate committee hearing in Melbourne on Thursday, part of an ongoing inquiry, titled Australia’s Faunal Extinction Crisis.

“Australia has one of the world’s worst records for extinction and protection of animal species,” the Wilderness Society said in its submission to the upper house’s Environment and Communications References Committee.

“Australians depend on thriving ecosystems for their well-being and prosperity, and extinction fundamentally threatens the healthy functioning of these ecosystems.”

The Wilderness Society said it “strongly recommends a complete overhaul of Australia’s national environment laws” to better protect threatened species.

It is also calling for enhanced protection for the habitats of at-risk animals and a national environment plan to set objectives for state and federal governments, which would be reviewed every five years.

“Australia needs to act quickly to stem the tide of extinction,” the organisation said.

The senate’s inquiry is examining the impact of faunal extinction, the adequacy of Commonwealth environment laws and current practices.

Australia is experiencing an ongoing decline in the population and conservation status of nearly 500 threatened fauna species, the committee says.

Representatives from The Wilderness Society Australia, Victorian National Parks Association and VicForests, the state government’s logging agency, are among those giving evidence to the inquiry on Thursday.