When you have a busy life and a family, you need a few go-to recipes you can either prepare ahead of time or make quickly.
When you add food issues such as gluten intolerance into the mix, it can become even more challenging.
In my family we have gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, egg and nut allergies and those who don’t eat red meat. We’re always trying to find meal ideas we can share so we don’t have to make separate dishes for everyone.
So we are very excited to have at least one problem solved, that being finding decent gluten free pasta. Phew. Because Latina Fresh has launched a new range of gluten free pasta including beef ravioli, lasagne sheets and fettuccini.
I have three recipes to share with you, one of which makes excellent use of the lasagne sheets, and a couple of others your family will love.
They are all family favourites.
1 onion, cut into large chunks
2 small carrots, cut roughly
2 sticks celery, cut roughly
1 clove of garlic
1 eggplant, diced
500g lean beef mince
¼ cup red wine
Freshly ground black pepper
Sprig of rosemary, chopped
400g can cherry tomatoes
700g tomato passata
Latina Fresh gluten free lasagne sheets
200g crème fraiche
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
150g mozzarella cheese or bocconcini cheese, torn
1. Dice onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a food processor. Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan over medium/low heat and fry onion mix for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden. Add eggplant and cook for a further 4 minutes.
2. Add beef mince to pan and cook beef thoroughly. Continue to cook for a further 5 minutes, until the beef has browned.
3. Add red wine to pan and cook until evaporated. Season with salt and pepper and add rosemary. Add cherry tomatoes and passata and cook, covered, over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Preheat oven to 180°C (160° fan forced).
5. Allow the sauce for your lasagne to cool a little to make it easier to work with. Layer the sauce and Latina Fresh lasagne sheets in a baking dish, starting and finishing with a sauce layer. Blend crème fraiche with 2 tablespoons of water to create a white sauce, and spoon over top layer of meat sauce. Scatter with parmesan cheese. Place mozzarella cheese pieces on top.
6. Cover with baking paper and foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove paper and foil and continue to bake lasagne for a further 10 minutes or until the top is golden. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.