news

Monday's news in 5 minutes.

1. Five-year-old girl with asthma dies hours after GP refused to see her because she was “four minutes late”.

Five-year-old Ellie-May Clark died hours after she was due to see her local doctor after suffering an asthma attack at school in Wales.

Ellie-May’s mother, Shanice, said Dr Joanne Rowe declined to see her daughter because they were “four minutes late” to the appointment about 5pm, despite being aware the girl had suffered a dangerous asthma attack earlier in the day, The Metro reports.

Shanice found her daughter not breathing at 10:35pm the same night, and rushed her to hospital. Ellie-May died shortly afterwards.

Now, more than two years after her death, it is understood 53-year-old Dr Rowe has been given just a written warning for her role in the incident.

A report conducted following the incident, uncovered by The Mail on Sunday, concluded the doctor’s refusal to see the girl was the “root cause” of the five-year-old’s death.

The doctor also claimed to be ‘in the middle’ of seeing another patient when Ellie-May and her mother arrived for their appointment, but the surgery’s booking system showed that was not the case.

Dr Rowe was suspended for six months on full pay following the death and agreed to accept a “written warning” not to repeat the incident.

2. South Australia’s Health Minister warns of a “whooping cough epidemic”.

ADVERTISEMENT

South Australia’s Health Minister Jack Snelling has warned the state is headed for a “whooping cough epidemic”, 7 News reports.

There has been a staggering 42 per cent jump in the number of whopping cough cases, with 24 babies diagnosed in South Australia since January last year. In the past three weeks alone, four babies have fallen ill.

A newborn’s only protection is from its mother being vaccinated before she gives birth. The vaccines, given to mums-to-be in the last trimester of their pregnancy, can pass on over 90 per cent protection.

The Health Minister hinted that compulsory vaccines for older children in childcare groups could be on the agenda to help protect babies in the future.

“We will be releasing a consultation bill in that area in the next couple of months,” he told 7 News.

3. Italian chef speaks of fearing for his life after rescuing a Melbourne woman from an attack.

ADVERTISEMENT

An Italian chef is recovering in hospital after he rushed to help a woman being attacked by a man outside Melbourne’s Crown Casino on Friday night, 9 News reports.

Luigi Spina, 24, had finished work at a nearby restaurant when he saw a man allegedly choking a woman on the Yarra Promenade. He rushed to help, before the alleged attacker pulled out a knife and stabbed him in the stomach.

“I thought I was going to die. I pulled up my T-shirt and saw it was full of blood,” Luigi told 9 News.

“No one should…punch a woman. It’s insane.”

Despite his injuries, Luigi said he would do the same thing all over again.

Police have released images of 21-year-old Kenneth ‘Kenny’ Scarlett, who is wanted in relation to the alleged attack.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

4. The driver accused of ploughing through a New Orleans Mardi Gras parade has been identified.

ADVERTISEMENT

The driver who is suspected of driving his ute through a crowd of revellers at a New Orleans Mardi Gras parade has been identified as 25-year-old Neilson Rizzuto.

The New York Daily News reports Rizzuto was booked on felony driving offences and faces two counts of first-degree negligent vehicular injuring, hit-and-run driving causing serious injury and reckless operation of a motor vehicle.

Rizzuto is believed to have been drunk behind the wheel when he drove into the crowd, injuring 28 people. Five victims remain in a critical condition in hospital.

Police say the victims range in age, from three to 40 years old.

He could be imprisoned for up to 20 years if convicted, with prosecutors saying more charges could be laid as their investigation continues.

5. A man with a medieval sword in policy custody in Adelaide after a dramatic arrest.

A man with a metre-long medieval sword was taken into police custody after a dramatic arrest by Adelaide police on Sunday afternoon.

7 News reports police approached the man with their guns drawn, before he dropped the sword and they pinned him to the ground.

Police have revealed 38-year-old man was on bail at the time of his arrest. He has been charged with carrying an offensive weapon and breaking bail conditions.

ADVERTISEMENT

It is not known why the man was brandishing the sword, but security footage showed the man stopping outside a convenience store and looking inside.

He is due to face court on Monday.

6. New poll reveals Malcolm Turnbull is more unpopular than Tony Abbott when he was ousted.

The latest Newspoll has revealed that Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s approval rating is even lower than that of Tony Abbott just before he was ousted as Prime Minister.

The poll, taken exclusively for The Australian, shows a slump in the Coalition’s primary vote to 34 per cent.

The government is also trailing Labor by 45 to 55 per cent in two-party terms.

Mr Turnbull, however, still retains his lead over Labor’s Bill Shorten as preferred prime minister, but voter satisfaction with his performance has dropped from 33 to 29 per cent since the last Newspoll was taken three weeks ago.

It appears unhappy voters are responsible for the surge in popularity for Pauline Hanson’s One Nation party, whose primary vote of 10 per cent now matches the support for the Greens.

Do you have a story to share with Mamamia? Email us [email protected]

00:00 / ???